How To Get Fit For Summer
Wellbeing

3 Ways To Kickstart Your Healthy Lifestyle Just In Time For Summer

Nutrition is KEY and listening to your body is KEY.

46
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bje6Jt_gytJ/?taken-by=fhittingroom

That's right people! You've read this title correctly, and I am about to share with you a few simple ways you can get your healthy habits and healthy lifestyle back on track. Summer is fast approaching and for many people, that means dreaded days spent in the gym doing boring, repetitive workout routines and starving themselves from necessary calories their bodies NEED. But, believe me when I say getting fit and falling in love with a healthy lifestyle does NOT have to be that way!

As someone who is still currently on their fitness journey and has overcome an unhealthy and damaging relationship with food and working out, I know first-hand how hard it can be to stay positive in a pursuit of a healthy lifestyle, especially when you don't quite know where to start. But, if you've clicked on this article hopeful that there would be a little golden piece of information to get you motivated or help you on your journey, then let me be the first to congratulate you on finding that place to start and being ready to take that first step!

First things first, don't ever doubt yourself… EVER. This article is not meant to provide or even attempt to share a "magical" trick to make you lose five pounds in two days, or shed three inches in a week. What I'm talking about is a full mental and physical transformation, a lifestyle change that is maintainable and achievable.

Often times, we find ourselves getting caught up in what so many other people are doing that we begin to doubt ourselves and our own ability to transform or succeed. But, if there's anything I have learned in my fitness journey, it's that there are no quick fixes and there are no shortcuts to truly live a healthy life and no two people will have the same journey.

Second, understand that good things take time! I'm sure you've heard the classic phrase, "good things take time and nothing good ever comes easy," and believe me when I say this has never been more true! As a society with the world literally at our fingertips we are so used to instant gratification that when we don't see results or progress right away, we begin to feel stressed, anxious and often quit when we feel it's become too difficult.

It can be disheartening when you spend a lot of time and effort towards bettering yourself only to feel the same way you did when you started your journey. It's unfortunate, but this is a reality for many people and used to be one for myself. Hence, why I feel it is so important to understand that you are the one in control of your own journey, and you get out of it what you put in. Just remember, don't doubt yourself, and enjoy the process.

My third tip is one that will either be met with a silent "obviously," or a serious "I didn't think that would work." Nutrition is KEY and listening to your body is KEY. Too often, there are so many people that read and absorb incorrect information about different types of diets that tell you what you should or shouldn't eat, or when you should and shouldn't eat. And these restrictive factors along with other factors are often what lead to the perfect cocktail triggering a worse series of problems and detrimental cycle that so many people fall victim to.

I myself have been caught up in restrictive dieting and obsessive exercise only to see the damage it had done to my relationship with food and some of the long-term damages to my mental and physical health. Now, I am not saying that you should not cut out fast food or that choosing to follow a paleo, vegan or vegetarian diet would be a bad idea. On the contrary, they can be very beneficial for certain people and I myself, choose to avoid heavy grains and simple carbs. But, at the end of the day our bodies NEED fuel and need energy, so don't think that because an app, article or magazine told you to eat only 500 or 1,000 calories a day, you should.

Listen to your body, if you are hungry, munch on a healthy snack or eat a nutritious meal! If you are really hungry before a workout, it might be a good idea to eat a banana or something light and wait a little bit to make sure your body has the proper nutrition it needs to perform. Or, if you are feeling really run down and don't think you can make it through another intense workout, take the day off and listen to your body telling you it needs rest and rehabilitation!

Remember, it's all about making sure you are your happiest and healthiest self. You want to eat and train good, so you feel good! I know healthy habits are hard to form and easy to break, but with these tips and your dedication to beginning this journey towards maintaining a happy and healthy lifestyle, it can hopefully be a little easier and a change I promise you won't regret!