Dear Class Of 2020

Dear Class Of 2020

An open letter to freshmen college students that I wish I had received when I started my first year.

12
Dear Class Of 2020
Laura Taylor

Dear Class of 2020,

Welcome to the next four years of your life. Welcome to the new adventures, the new friends, the new buildings, the new curriculum, the new classes, the new professors, and the new pace of life. You're here for at least the next four years of your life so you might as well get comfortable. From all the "newness" you're about to experience, you're bound to come across some tricky situations that most upperclassmen have probably already experienced. So, being an upperclassman, I want to caution you as you begin this new chapter of your life.

First, and probably the most common issue of being a freshman, is procrastination. I told myself that it couldn't and it wouldn't happen to me but boy, was I wrong. It gets the best of us. We find Netflix (or Netflix finds us), we would rather go out to a party, or we are simply tired. I am begging you to take your first year of college seriously and put it as a priority in your life. Sure, parties are fun and a great distraction from school but I guarantee you that there will be another party on another night when you don't have a paper due the next morning. Unless there are athletic commitments or a job involved, I say do your schoolwork as soon as you get done with the day. For one, it'll be done and you won't have to think about it the rest of the day and for two, your workload won't pile up. Before you head off to that football game, is your school work taken care of?

Second, your roommate does not have to be your best friend. It's true. You and your roommate are agreeing to live with each other and share a room, not be best friends. So, if the two of you cannot get along, it is not the end of the world. Don't force yourself to be friends with your roommate because that can start problems. Even if you chose your roommate because you know the person or become friends quickly, you may still have arguments that will test both of your patience. Don't risk a friendship because of a living situation.

And last but not least, thirdly: seriously take some time to just be by yourself. It may sound like a waste of time now but if you set time to reflect on how your week is going you will come to a situation with a fresh set of eyes. Knowing who you are and sticking to it will help keep your freshman year a pleasant experience. Be confident in who you are and don't let anyone or anything change you.

Good luck and welcome to the beginning of your life in adulthood.

-A Second Year Student