5 Thoughts You Have Your First Week Of College
Life Stages

5 Thoughts You Explicitly Have During Your First 7 Days College

"Every year, many, many stupid people graduate from college. And if they can do it, so can you."
― John Green

93
https://www.flickr.com/photos/64712314@N00/5263450216

Have you ever had a week where you just lose all you sanity? I did, but maybe my total breakdown can you help control yours. There are many thoughts going through a college freshman's mind before and after they move in. It drives us crazy and advice comes from all directions. Being completely honest, no matter how many videos you watch on Youtube and the advice you receive, nothing helps prepare you for the chaos that comes with being a college freshman.

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane."
- Akiro Kurosawa

1. "What is 'sleep?' I've never heard of it."

https://giphy.com/gifs/family-guy-fox-family-guy-foxtv-3o6ZtaiPZNzrmRQ6YM

Baggy eyes and lack of sleep? Of course! I haven't had time to sleep and spent every night worrying if I had been overpacking or under-packing. Did I forget anything? Did I pack enough? I have to make a list of things not to forget the day before! Yeah, that's been me the past week.

2. "I DECLARE BANKRUTPCY"

https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-michael-scott-graduation-Qa5dsjQjlCqOY

From tuition to textbooks to dorm shopping... I declare bankruptcy. No matter how much you choose to save or how easy you think it is to find textbooks, you're WRONG. I have never felt so stressed, going to every Barnes and Noble in my town just to get a, "Sorry, we don't carry them here. Try a college campus." And NEVER FREAKING BUY ONLINE LAST MINUTE BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL GET TO YOU ON TIME. Look for books ahead of time. Even though I did look ahead of time and planned, not everything goes as planned.

3. "ROOMIES!"

https://giphy.com/gifs/friends-excited-31lPv5L3aIvTi

Going on Pinterest to share a board with your roommate? Check! My roommate and I have been so excited to plan our dorm room. One problem... MEASUREMENTS. if you want that cute carpet you saw or that cute DIY headboard... Go visit a dorm on a tour and take measurements. It will drive you crazy not knowing what you can and can't buy until you move in. That's how I am right now.

4. "I need my mommy"

I'll miss you mama

https://giphy.com/gifs/alexis-bledel-moms-rory-gilmore-EgVFYK4FLpH9u

I'm a complete mommy's girl and I hate her for it. My mother is my best friend. She gives the best advice and is always honest. Your mom should be your best friend as well. I never realized how much I needed my mom until I tried to go shop at Target for small college stuff and I was so overwhelmed that I nearly cried. There was just so much to choose from and all I could think of was "What would mom get? Where is she when I need her? She knows more about budgeting." I seriously don't know how I will shop without her. She's the one with the coupons! I will definitely miss my number one best friend. Not only has she cooked and done everything in my life, but she's also raised me well enough to survive alone–but not for four months!

5. "Bye bye, baby"

ttps://giphy.com/gifs/spongebob

I will never be able to say goodbye to my baby. My dog has been the best companion ever. From helping me with my anxiety and depression to seeing him excited when I get home, I love him to death and will miss him so much when I'm gone. Goodbyes aren't the best thing and it feels like it's goodbye. He's slept with me as a puppy and still does. I wake up to him every day. I expect to see him every day. Imagine not having that—not having something warm and heavy on the foot of your bed to keep you warm. This will be the hardest "See you later" I will ever have to say. I hope you all know how to hold back tears, either from stress or from saying goodbyes and see you laters!