The Art Of Having Personalized Ink Engraved Onto Your Body

For those of you who aren't major Harry Potter nerds like I am, "Expecto Patronum" is the incantation for the Patronus Charm, which is used to ward off Dementors.

Keleri
Keleri
576

This past Friday, I went into a small tattoo shop to get my very first tattoo. This was something I've thought about for several years, so I'd had tons of time to contemplate what I wanted. So when I went in, my decision was made. I knew exactly what I wanted and where I wanted it!

The experience itself wasn't too bad. Growing up, everyone had told me that getting my tattoo was going to hurt like crazy, but it wasn't really like that for me at all. I did opt to get mine on my wrist, which is one of the more painful locations, but honestly, I didn't mind it too much.

I heard one of my coworkers explain it as an "electric cat scratch," which, as weird as it sounds, is pretty accurate to me. But the artist was very prompt and professional. The entire procedure was clean and fast, and he made sure I knew how to take care of it after the fact. So overall, my actual experience in getting the tattoo was pretty good. I'll probably go there again in the future!

Now, the tattoo itself:

Since whatever design I chose was going to be featured on my skin for the rest of my life, I wanted it to actually mean something to me. I've always been a really big fan of Harry Potter, it's had a huge impact on my life growing up and is something I've always connected to.

A couple years ago I saw a Twitter post where a fan had asked J.K. Rowling if she could write out the words "Expecto Patronum" so they could get it tattooed on them in her handwriting. Rowling responded with an image of the words in her handwriting. For those of you who aren't major Harry Potter nerds like I am, "Expecto Patronum" is the incantation for the Patronus Charm, which is used to ward off Dementors.

I really loved the concept of getting this tattoo because, in my experience, there are a lot of "Dementors" in life.

There are lots of things that will consistently try to bring you down, and there will always be bad days to go along with the good. So I thought getting this tattoo would remind me to keep my head held up high, even when it feels like everything in my life is going wrong. I've only had it for a few days, but already I'm getting some of that effect from it! It makes me really happy and I can only hope that it continues to do so in the future!