First Semester Of College, As Told By Caroline Forbes

Your First Semester Of College, As Told By Caroline Forbes

There is no one better to describe your first semester of college than the good-girl vampire Caroline Forbes.

302

The first semester of college is full of a lot of changes and big moments. Any fan of "The Vampire Diaries" can tell you that Mystic Falls' pride and joy Caroline Forbes is always facing challenges and changes and finding a way to overcome them, similar to college freshman. However, she doesn't let these issues stop her from enjoying her time with her friends and family she loves the most. You can't watch season 5 without noticing that Caroline Forbes is the perfect example of a successful college student (until she drops out for personal reasons). With her success and many memorable quotes, there is simply no one better to describe the first semester of college.

Move-in day

Caroline Forbes GIF

The day you've waited for all summer is finally here, and freshman year is finally in motion. All of your dorm decor is perfectly placed, and you're anxiously awaiting the arrival of your new roommate.

Introducing the roommate

Caroline Forbes College

Finally, your roommate is fully moved in. Now, you live three feet from a stranger. That's fun. Okay, so maybe you're a little wary of them. It's a little weird at first, but once you get to know them, it'll be a breeze. Just try to get to know them and figure out any similarities. This will make a huge difference when you're trying to find fun things to do together.

Not much of a "syllabus week"

Candice Accola Blog

Tenor

The first week of classes is often called "syllabus week," where professors go over course policies and you hurry to write down the tons of due dates in your planner. However, some professors just tend to throw you straight down the rabbit hole into course content. Um, excuse me, I was just at a campus carnival for Welcome Week, how am I supposed to do chemistry problems when there is still free food and t-shirts outside?

Three weeks in and homesickness is kicking in

Caroline Forbes GIF

FanPop

Things can be a little different when you're out on your own. You have to do your own laundry and buy your own food, and sometimes you just miss the simpler times when your parents did your laundry and you had a home-cooked meal. Homesickness is a normal part of transitioning to college, and you shouldn't feel bad for missing your family every now and then. Getting involved with clubs and organizations on campus really helps keep your mind off of it, though.

Luckily, you have your new friends

Caroline Forbes

Another great way to get over homesickness is to spend time with your new friends. If you're lucky enough, that roommate you were wary of is now one of your best friends. One great way to spend time with friends and be productive is to do some studying or community service together. You'll quickly learn that through the memories you make with your college friends, they'll become like a second family to you.

Time to have some fun

Caroline Forbes Dancing

Freshman year is all about exploring and trying new things. For some, including Caroline, that new thing is partying, and for others like me, that new thing is a new hobby or organization. College campuses have tons of organizations and events going on all year round, so there is no excuse for not finding something fun to do during your study breaks.

Procrastination station here I come

Caroline Forbes GIF

Every freshman will find that procrastination is a painful reality that everyone will encounter at least once in their first semester. Sometimes, that free movie at the student center looks a lot more appealing than a six-page paper. When you're pulling your first all-nighter, just know that everyone else in that movie theater is somewhere in that library with you, grinding just as heard. You are not alone. We've all been there, and we've made it through. You can do it.

Why did I pay for this class again?

Caroline Forbes Quote

Most of the professors I've had thus far have been great about covering content, but not everyone is so lucky. Sometimes, professors just sort of derail discussions in lecture, and still expect you to complete the homework assignment with that content by that night. It sort of feels like the professor just turned their back on you, but hey, there is always the trusty $150 textbook that you haven't opened until now. Either way, this is just a part of the whole independence and self-motivation thing that you've got down pat by this point in the semester.

Stress, exams, and oh did I mention, stress

Caroline Forbes Quotes

You've conquered homesickness, procrastination, and bad professors. Now it's time for the boss fight: exams. Whether it be midterms or finals, exams are always a stressful time. If you're like Caroline and me, stress eating is a natural stress-reliever and is most likely the reason for the freshman 15. Exams are stressful, but there are a few solutions to relieve the stress besides a family-size bag of potato chips. Study schedules, flashcards, and flow charts are great ways to manage your time and organize your thoughts.

A blessing named extra credit

Caroline Forbes Quotes

Sometimes, exams are just plain hard. Those are the ones that everyone leaves the test session with a frown and a saddened look when they discuss their answers. That professor you thought never taught maybe realized that after the exam and is willing to spread a little holiday joy as the semester comes to a close. In this case, some professors are kind enough to give extra credit assignments or curve the exam. While this isn't always the case, I've had some great professors that really pulled through at the end of the semester.

See you in a month

Caroline Forbes

You're finally settled in. You have an awesome roommate, great friends, and maybe a new boyfriend (if you're me, anyway), and you just conquered finals. However, winter break is quickly approaching, and you simply don't want to leave behind the life you've built here even if it is only for a month. You might end up like Caroline and me, crying in your bed for a second, but the spring semester is waiting on the other side. You can push through it, and come back ready to conquer the last half of your freshman year.