To The First Female Astronaut

To The First Female Astronaut, You Are A Hero

A thank you letter to the women who were brave enough to venture into space when space travel.

23

Sally Ride, Mae Jemison, Ellen Ochoa and many more were exceptional women who made the decision to go to space. Sally Ride was an American Astronaut who was on the space shuttle challenger. Ride attended Stanford University where she was a double major in Physics and English.

She received her Bachelor's in both in 1973 then continued on to receive her Masters in 1975 and her Ph. D in 1978. She was one of 1,000 people to apply to be part of NASA'S astronaut program.

She went through vigorous training in order to be safe and ready when the time came for her to travel.Since then she has done amazing things when it came to paving the way for girls around the world. She started her own company and and created educational programs known as Sally Ride Science which hopefully helped young girls dream big and know that anything is possible.

Sally knew that there would be a lot of criticism and doubt because she was a woman but that didn't stop her from becoming the first American woman to go to space and for that we are thankful. Space travel has always been a dream of mine it's one thing to see the planets and stars on a website or a book but to actually have the chance to see them from the window of a spacecraft must be incredible.

It's hard to think that at one time NASA was mainly occupied with men, they didn't believe women had the brains to work with this new technology. Boy where they wrong not only did we become members of NASA we are also still doing incredible things today in schools,jobs and daily life. Women can be part of Congress,Pilots, Engineers,Astronauts,Lawyers,Teachers,Police Officers and many more things.

We have been able to achieve all these things because we didn't let others get us down and we certainly did not let someone saying no get in our way. Women can do anything men can do and we can work just as hard. So why aren't we getting paid equally and being treated with more respect at the workplace? That's for another time.

My point is we should never let the fear of the unknown get to us I'm sure each and every one of those women were terrified when it came to space travel and the dangers that came with it but did that stop them, no it did not. Which is why it shouldn't stop us from doing whatever we want to do because we are strong and we are smart.