my first college apartment

I’ve Loved My First Apartment, But Now I’m Really Excited To Move Out

Weird or not, I'm thankful to and for my first apartment.

88

I'm a couple of months away from being a college graduate, and with that big change, comes a change in residence. My college living arrangements were as familiar as possible: I lived in the same dorm for two years and then lived in the same apartment for the last two. I purposefully found a way to stabilize where I lived, in order to allow more focus and motivation for my studies. I'm the type of person who enjoys having a distinct place of my own.

When it was time to move out of the dorms, the hunt was on, and more accurately, the struggle was real. My apartment might not be the best looking or the fanciest, but I was oblivious to its flaws because it was going to be mine. A place of my own. In those instances, excitement takes over and you have to pick the most important features and go from there.

I still feel lucky to have found the apartment I did, especially because it came with parking, laundry, and enough space for an actual human being. In a college town/city, you're not always that lucky.

My apartment gave me a comfortable and safe place to grow in my college career, and also as a person. I learned about responsibility when it comes to bills, rent, and having a budget. If you're looking for a crash-course in being an adult, rent an apartment…you learn quick.

This place that I still call home is more than a place to sleep. It's a symbol of who I am and who I'm going to be. College is an intense transition time, and my apartment made that transition bearable. And sure, the longer I live here, the more of its flaws I notice, but I will never forget its charm.

Having a new experience and responsibility is something you always remember, and my first apartment is something I will remember, and cherish, for years to come.

At this point in my life, change is inevitable, but also exciting. I will miss my first apartment without a doubt. It is my home and my safe space. But, I am ready to move on and find a new place to create my home. I will take all the good memories and personal growth from this apartment and move it into the next.

Maybe it's a little weird to get so sentimental over a few rooms, but when you spend two years struggling to understand what college even is, you realize that those few rooms made life easier and better.

When I take stock of this apartment, there's a lot of TLC needed. But, is also provided that sense of TLC to me during the years I needed it most.

Weird or not, I'm thankful to and for my first apartment. It wasn't what I dreamed of, but it was what I needed to survive these past two years. And while I'm ready to move into the next part of my life, I will not forget how I got there. Here's to the most overpriced apartment I'll hopefully ever live in.