Finding Your Sole Mate: What Your Potential Suitor's Footwear Says About Him

Check his feet before you meet.

111
Nike

They say you can tell a lot about a guy from his eyes, hair, mannerisms, etc. But what's often overlooked is his shoe choice. Shoes are the windows to the sole (that's the saying, right?) and can give you a lot of insight on someone. The next time you meet your next potential suitor, check out those kicks, and remember these guidelines:

1. Converse

Converse boy is a laid back guy who believes he is mysterious but most likely fits under the 'lovable dork' category. He doesn't like getting dressed up, so date nights will most likely be to your favorite local pizza joint or dive bar. He isn't too outdoorsy, and if you're looking for a gym buddy, he probably isn't the one. But Converse guy is funny and sweet, and he is a great catch for an easy-going gal.

2. Nikes

Nikes guy will always be wearing gym clothes...and I mean always. He isn't great at being romantic, so date nights will consist of text invitations to a Netflix binge. It matters a lot to him if his friends like you, so you have to be down with hanging out with a large group of guys. He's not great at showing emotions, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. Oh, and if you aren't remotely into sports, don't go after Nike guy.

3. Flip Flops

Not unlike his footwear, he will flip flop his way right out of your heart. Flip flop guy is most at home by the water, so if you aren't a great swimmer, stay far, far away. He will likely be casual and fairly easy-going, but you may get stuck on the sand videotaping him and his dudes surfing the day away. Friend time to him is more important than one-on-one time, so don't be surprised if your dates turn into group hangouts.

4. Vintage Sneakers

This guy knows his way around a house show. Dates with vintage sneaker guy will be trips to hole-in-the-wall record stores or a Goodwill couple's shopping spree. If you don't have a septum piercing or listen to underground indie rock on the daily, vintage sneakers is probably not your solemate. But, if you want a guy who will introduce you to all things 'hip,' then this is it. P.S.: don't ever tell vintage sneakers guy you aren't a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel—his beanie-clad head will likely explode.

5. Boat Shoes/Duck Boots

Date night will consist of a theme party or possibly a semi-formal. His bros will always come first, so if you desire uninterrupted attention, he's not the lad for you. He will be the type to buy you gifts when you're angry at him, but never really understand what he did wrong. Your days with boat shoe boy will likely be filled with "Family Guy" binges and shot-gunning contests, but hey, at least he knows how to have fun.

6. Cowboy Boots

For date night, you better be ready to 'shag' the night away, and unfortunately, I'm talking about the dance. Prepare to meet his (very large) family less than a month into the relationship, but don't worry, they'll think you're a doll. If you aren't planning on popping out a few kids pretty soon and settling down in a nice, quiet neighborhood, I would suggest steering clear of cowboy boots guy.

7. Loafers

Loafers guy is a young professional. He most likely has some sort of internet startup and will jump at any excuse to throw on his favorite blazer. Think Warner from "Legally Blonde." He needs a girl who's serious. You can't be more successful than loafer guy, or he will resent you like hell. He's got style and is a gentleman, but truly, he's rather boring. Date nights will be to fancy restaurants where he can show of his bank account balance, and he insists on paying...always.

8. Chacos

As long as you don't mind the odd, strappy sandals tan, Chaco boy is actually a pretty good choice. He will always be kind and has no eyes for other women. Like his multiple-strapped sandals, he is a safe choice but won't surprise you much. Dates are sure to be filled with outdoor adventure, so if you aren't a bug person, I would be cautious. You may have to fight for his attention though, because Mother Nature will always come first in his heart.