A Resolution For The New School Year

The Art of Finding Who I Am As The New School Year Begins

I have been obsessed with making other people like me and trying my hardest to not make any waves in the dynamic of the people I interact with. Well, this year, I'm focusing on me.

25
Bailey Reiser

These past two years I have had at my school have been wonderful, however, there are some things that have changed going into this year and being who I am, I always overthink and think negatively about what is going to happen. I am writing this because I want to be held accountable and to really put things into the air for me to notice that they are there.

This year I want to find me. I have been obsessed with making other people like me and trying my hardest to not make any waves in the dynamic of the people I interact with. Well, this year, I'm focusing on me. Of course, I am still going to be kind to others, but I am not going to change who I am anymore. I have done that for so long that I truly forgot who I was.

Whether it was the people I was with every day or guys that I was talking to or even to my teachers, I would alter myself to be who I thought they wanted me to be. I wasn't happy with that person. So, this year I will be taking time to rediscover who I truly am and who I want to be going forward in my life. Making a list of my values and what I want to have my demeanor be about.

I also want to make this year a year of finding new friends. My best friend no longer goes to school with me and that has been really hard for me. I knew going into school this year that I had two really good friends that I was so excited to come back and see but I don't want to rely on just two friends and feel lonely when they both have things to do and can't hang out with me.

I want to open myself up to more people and talk to others that are in my classes, especially my politics classes and people that are in the politics major because I have no issues trying to make friends with the people in the School of Theatre and Dance, but I think networking in my other classes is a good idea. I get intimidated because they're all so smart and politics classes are the ones that challenge me the most and this has prevented me from opening up to this demographic of people before, but this is the year that I change that.

I also want to work on my health. I know that is the most basic resolution, but I know that I can do it. Being in an apartment and being able to make my own food is so helpful to me. Being in the dorms and having to eat from the dining center sometimes got me to the point where I would not eat at all. This is not a healthy choice and I realize that now.

I want to eat better and take care of myself that way while also trying to exercise to maintain a healthy weight and stretching to increase my flexibility and strength. These are supposed to be the times where I am in the best health of my life and I want to do everything I can to make sure I am at the peak of health. With that, I think the exercise and healthy eating will make me more confident with myself and my body.

Lastly, I do not want to let fear take over. I have found that in dance especially. I make myself not stand out as much for fear that I will step on other people's toes. However, I need to stop doing that. My validity in my classes is as much as the people around me. I always say to myself that it's their time because they are running out of it, but so am I.

The places you stand in class are not based on who has been there the longest because everyone there is working to get work in the field. I need to take my place in the room and make myself seen. It isn't their time, it isn't my time, it is OUR time and we all deserve a moment in the front. So, I'm going to take my place and allow others to have their moment in the spotlight too. And if any of the others have anything to say, I won't let it hurt me. Someone is always going to have something negative to say and I am not going to let their ill feelings toward me affect the person and dancer I am.

I am very excited for this year and I know it's going to be a good one as long as I keep a positive attitude and learn to love myself and live in the moment. I think that making resolutions for the school year is something that can benefit everyone and is something that I want to carry with me through every school year. It has given me things to look forward to and has allowed me mentally to push me out of the comfort zone that I have found the past few years.