​So, You Want A Media Internship?

​So, You Want A Media Internship?

These four options can help you find what you need.

55
​So, You Want A Media Internship?

Are you a media major ready for the next step towards your post-graduation career? Or majoring in another field but passionate nonetheless? Then look no further! Media internships in the niches of marketing, public relations, advertising, graphic design and production are bountiful. Below are websites cultivated for the field; neither is better than the other and you should use all of them.

1. LinkedIn

Perhaps the most famous on this list. You should not consider it to be a bland, static online resume. Instead, utilize the sections to tell a story. From explicitly in the summary to subtly through an array of volunteer work and donors. Character is as important as qualifications because hiring managers want you to be a fit for the company culture and existing staff. 87% of recruiters use the site.

'Show, don't tell' rings truest here. LinkedIn offers the opportunity to publish articles to demonstrate your expertise. Rather than saying you are passionate about marketing, write an article about recent trends or your favorite techniques. Are you "proficient" in Photoshop? Then attach a link to your online portfolio with your best designs.

A networking website at heart, it revolves around the premise of building connections. You can keep in professional contact with acquaintances and stay up-to-date with business influencers. By following company pages, you get immediate notification of their news feed posts and important deadlines.

2. MediaBistro

Boasting the largest media job board, this site is ideal for searching and applying. A user-friendly interface allows seekers to save jobs and sign up for job alerts. Its "Featured Companies" panel introduces seekers organizations they may not have been aware of and find to be the perfect fit for future reference.

It also offers career advice to prepare people for the fast-paced atmosphere. Resources include an outlook on whether freelance is suitable for you or how to navigate the career ladder. Both are notably absent not only from the classroom but onsite too. Understanding your options and trajectories are crucial for aspiring media professionals.

Postings tend to mention media majors are preferred, but don't let that stop you from applying. Interpersonal skills from being a sales associate or waitress can rival ideological campus business courses. However, certain positions may put an emphasis on computer skills. What distinguishes MediaBistro from the others is the training program. Ranging from grammatical writing to website designing, you can build your resume as you are applying. Prices are as low as $49.

3. Ed2010

This is the perfect location for journalism opportunities. Already filtered to that niche, listings offer work in print and digital publications from features to hard news. Just as you are searching for a job, companies staff people to search for candidates to speed-up the process.

Existing for more than 20 years and run on an all-volunteer staff, campus chapters exist throughout the country. Offering a "buddy system," there are two types of mentoring programs. Ranging from question-and-answer to being paired with an established junior editor, Ed2010 takes good care of students.

Every word and extra line makes a difference to search results, which majors probably are aware of in their articles. The closer a match the higher you appear in the software. Don't go overboard with creative or subjective language: keywords, not buzzwords, are the way to go. If you want professional critique, you can pay for Ed2010's resume services to tighten it up.

4. Your College’s Career Department

The department usually offers exclusive positions from alumni, such as at their new start-up or if they know of an open position. Colleges work not only to recruit students but employers as well. Strategic communications are formed from the faculty's outside pull, utilizing nearby companies, or gala events to make a good impression of the college on top professionals.

Especially in schools with a communications curriculum, a trip to the department can inform you of existing placements. Meeting with the career officials can give you insight unique to your education. They usually track successful applicants and can identify hiring patterns based on your location and rival schools. Objective feedback on your cover letter and resume can also resolve other barriers.