Finding a Job in a Pandemic...

2020, what a decade it's been. This year has been quite the roller coaster and has taught me a lot about who I am and what I want for myself personally and professionally.

At the start of 2020, I had a great job and loved what I was doing. Then the pandemic hit in March and things were thrown into chaos. I am used to going with the flow and can adapt to change really well. But there was something about this year that threw me off and made me question a lot of things. I started to question who I was, my purpose in life, and what I wanted out of life. Quarantining alone gave me a lot of time to reflect on everything, and it was with this reflection that I came to terms with my current job and realized that I needed a change. I live life one adventure to the next and it was time for a new one. Little did I know that finding a new job would be an adventure in itself.

These are the major lessons I learned from this experience:

Have faith in yourself

While you'll get more rejections than anything, remember to not take it personally. Those rejections will hurt, but that just means the company isn't seeing all of your potential and you were meant for a different job. Have confidence in what you bring to the table and know that your time will come for the next best job.

One door closes and a window opens

The dream job you are wanting could be in the least expected place. When one door closes, a window will open with an even better opportunity. Keep your eyes open and be patient. It took me close to 6 months to find my new job and it was the open window that allowed me to find a new job that I am excited and passionate about. Don't count out those opportunities.

Update your resume

A pandemic is the perfect time to update your resume that I know you haven't touched in a couple years. Make it the best reflection of yourself. Add some color, link your LinkedIn account, update your contact information, change the format, etc. New year, new you.

Reflect on what you want out of a job

I left my previous job because I felt that there wasn't enough room for growth and development, and found a job that focuses on those items. Therefore, look for something that allows you to be professionally satisfied but also something that you enjoy. Turn your passion into a job. If you don't wake up every day looking forward to going to work, then it might be time for a change.

Take a breath

2020 is a chaotic year, so don't be afraid to take a breath in your job search process. I was sending out multiple applications a day in the beginning, and then I took a moment and stepped away from the search because I felt overwhelmed and defeated. Taking a breath allowed me to refocus and see the job search with fresh eyes. I knew I was looking for something to advance me professionally and that it would take time, especially in the middle of a pandemic. Nothing is instantaneous and it is okay to take a moment for reflection and self-care.

Finding a job in a pandemic should be a skill added to all future resumes, but in all seriousness, many of us are going through this and not all searches are the same. Remember what you bring to the table and know that the right job is out there for you! Best of luck!