How To Remember Who You Are

I want you to think about something that scares you, gives you anxiety or just plain terrifies you. Maybe it's spiders or heights or swimming or water, or literally anything else. Whatever it may be, I want you to think about a time that it made you more scared than anything. Then I want you to think about how you fixed it. Maybe someone gave you a hug or you thought of a happy memory that made you not think of it anymore. I know that when I'm scared, I think of my rocks. I have many rocks in my life that keep me grounded and help me when I am scared or anxious.

One of my rocks are my parents. When I think about jumping off a building (connected to a harness), I think of how my dad did that once and loved. I think about what my mom would say to encourage me and to remind that I am strong enough and give me enough courage to jump. They are some of the first people who will encourage me to do anything and everything that comes my way. They always remind me who I am whenever I drift away and I can see pieces of them inside my personality. When I was jumping off of the building, I thought about how proud they would be that I could jump off a four story building and how much I would enjoy it.

The next rock is who I always go to first with and about anything, God. He is my first rock and will always be. I know that I can always count on him to lead me to the right places and people and will never lead me astray. When I was jumping off the four story building, I thought about how me jumping was like my faith. When I jumped, I was having faith in the harness and the person who strapped me into the swing. When I jump into my faith, I am trusting that God and going to hold me up and keep me from danger. Whenever I think I can't do something, I think about how I can because I am a child of God.

When you are dealing with something scary like jumping off a four-story building, it can be absolutely terrifying to just jump. A little secret is that I am scared of heights. I have never liked heights, but I can deal with them if I can see where I'm going and what is keeping me safe and attached to the tall thing. When I was up there and was told I could go anytime, the fear of heights suddenly went away. I don't really know where it went, but I am no longer afraid of heights. I don't really want to fall of a giant mountain, but I would if I was strapped into a harness.

To go through anxiety is a terrible thing and I can complelely relate to it because I have anxiety anytime water and swimming is invovled. I can never be a lifeguard again and I hate having to go through training for water emergencies. When I am around people in water, I have to focus on myself and either my swimming or my paddling. I would say that that is my rock. What keeps me grounded when I am in water and I am anxious is remembering that I should only focus on what I'm doing and no one else. If I can only watch myself, then I'm good.

No matter what you're doing, whether it is terrifying or not, you should always have a rock. You should have something that keeps you grounded and brings you back to who you are. If you don't have one yet, then try thinking of a happy memory or something good that happened that day. You can try and focus on the activity you are doing and solely that. If you are really struggling, I would recommend staring straight into someone's eyes as they tell you that everything is going to be okay. Whatever it is, make sure you have a rock that reminds you of you.