To The College Student That Feels Overwhelmed, This Is For You

Do it for you and grow as fast or as slow as you’d like.

27
pexels.com

As a college student, there are constantly hundreds of things going on; classes, friends, relationships, parties, etc. At the age of only 18, you were forced into a University, forced into choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life and forced to juggle a giant load of all new responsibilities. And at some point, you just start to outweigh what’s more important and what can wait. College is all about you and what you can do with it. Every new day is the oldest you’ve ever been, and the youngest you’ll ever be again.

Who knew you had to do laundry every week or else you’d be wearing the same pair of sweats every day? Who by this point is okay with wearing that same pair of sweats every day? My point exactly. And that’s okay! Part of being young is having everyone else in the world view you that way. Being on a college campus and walking to the library looking like you haven’t slept in ten days is understandable. Everyone is going through the same thing.

It is okay to feel overwhelmed all the time. It is okay to email your professor and ask for help or for an extension. Granted if your professor is kind of rude, that might not be possible, but for the most part, they’re people too, they will understand. It is okay to sometimes walk into a class and know you’re about to take an “L”. It is okay to take a step back sometimes and reevaluate your life.

You’re going to lose a lot of friends. You’re going to make a lot of friends. You are sometimes going to feel like you are completely alone, but I promise you, you’re not. It is okay to have a few mental breakdowns a week, and feel like you’re crying for no reason. That’s just college. That’s just adolescence.

But don’t worry because there are so many fun things to look forward to. There are so many things you should look ahead to and help that thought pull you through right now. Think about the “Dage” on Saturday, or the pizza you’re going to have for dinner. Think about the home cooked meal your mom's going to make you the next time that you’re home. Think about a piece of chocolate you might find in the bottom of your food bin. If college has taught any of us anything, is it to appreciate the little things in life.

Find yourself and take your time. College is the only time, for the entire rest of your life that you can be completely selfish. It is all about you. It is okay to be utterly selfish. Don’t feel guilty. Take some alone time if you need, or surround yourself with a thousand people. Cut off negative people and bad vibes. Do it for you and grow as fast or as slow as you’d like. Make so many mistakes and learn from them. Laugh as hard as you can and love with all of your heart. Because college is really friggin’ hard, but it’s the best four years of our lives.