Finals Week As Told By Parks And Rec

Finals Week For A Senior, As Told By 'Parks And Rec'

The end of the semester is always extremely stressful, but finishing up my last fall semester has been a different experience.

33

Coming into college, I think I expected my senior year to be easy. After all, my high school senior year was, and TV and movies portrayed senior year as a constant party. As a Molecular Biology major, I can tell you that this has not been my experience at all. Finals week has brought up an interesting series of thoughts for me.

1. I only have two finals

In terms of sitting down and taking exams, my week is easy. I have an exam on Tuesday and an exam on Saturday.

2. I ONLY have two finals?

I am in more than two classes. What is my final then, if not an exam? Papers? Oh good.

3. I am a science major for a reason

I have written a lot this semester, and while it has mostly been for my lab class, and has been scientific writing, I have definitely affirmed that I would not do well in a major that has papers all the time.

4. Some of my friends are leaving me?

Whether it be studying abroad or graduating, some of my friends aren't returning to our campus next semester. The reality of my limited time left in undergraduate set in when I realized this.

5. Why do Saturday finals exist?

I have had a final on Saturday after for the last three semesters. I really don't understand why we have finals on a Saturday. Watching people leave and knowing you still have to study sucks.

6. I can ride the CTA holiday train as a study break!

The train is on the Red Line on Tuesday of my finals week, so I take a final in the morning and then go to ride the train in the afternoon. It's a fun tradition being started by one of the campus ministers at my school.

7. Do I really need to study?

I only have two exams, and I feel like I have a grasp on the material, so could I just party all week?

8. Yes. I do need to study

That was a good joke, Suzanne. I will be in the library all week.

9. Do people actually go out partying mid-finals week?

In my time as an RA, I always heard of the fabled study night out. My school doesn't have finals on Wednesday so students go out on Tuesday night and party. I have never actually witnessed this though.

10. I don't have much time left here

The reality of my limited time left at Loyola is really beginning to sink in. I have to start applying to programs for after graduation, and I'm beginning to realize that I don't get to exist in the undergraduate universe forever.

I'm so excited for after graduation, but I also have such fond memories of my time in college. I will miss you, Fall Semester. Thank you for everything - the stress, the laughs, the injuries (from dancing). Seven semesters down, one to go.