So I Finally Finished Black Mirror Season 3

A review of the last 3 episodes Season 3 had to offer

21
flickeringmyth.com

After S3E3 of Black Mirror made me so nauseated I had to take a break from all technology. I finally managed to conclude season 3, and was pleased to find the rest of the series to be imaginative and unique.

For those of you who aren’t too familiar with the Netflix original, Black Mirror is technological thriller with dystopian themes, written by Charlie Brooker. Each episode is a stand alone look at the not so far-fatched possibilities for a society rapidly expanding through technological advancements.

The remaining three episodes have vastly different themes, even examining the positive aspects of technology, something Brooker hasn’t been known for.

Episode four, San Junipero, is a love story set in the strangest of terms. The story features two women who meet at a nightclub in the 80’s, and have a deep connection. They quickly begin feeling strong emotive sensations for each other, but struggle to overlook their personal problems to embrace these new feelings.This episode seems to diverge almost entirely from Brooker’s typically technological cautionary tales. In this episode, we see what technology could do for those of us who are afraid for the future, afraid for the final curtain.

Episode five, Men Against Fire, features a young soldier who goes by the nickname "Stripe." These soldiers are battling against an infestation of “roaches.” The “roaches” are humanoid type creatures with alien faces and hissing vocalizations, and they are pretty damn creepy. The episode is a proposed theory about how technology in the military will develop, eventually making the government too powerful, and effectively transforming soldiers into heartless killing machines. I don’t want to spoil anything about the episode, but I highly suggest watching it.

The final episode, Hated in the Nation, is a full 90 minute journey, diverting in from the typical Black Mirror episode in runtime. In this episode, Brooker takes a look at what police systems might be like in the not too distant future. A Journalist is murdered after an onslaught of hate filled attacks on social media, and the culprit is completely anonymous. No matter how hard the police try, they cannot seem to pin down a suspect. The suspect is a surprising twist when first revealed, but quickly the genuine likelihood of this being a problem in the future sets in. This episode tackles issues such as cyber bullying, government surveillance, and more issues that are at the forefront of today’s society.

The second half of Black Mirror Season 3 is well worth the watch. It’s insightful, disturbing, visceral, and at times, terribly romantic.