If Final Exams Were Villains From Our Favorite Cartoons

Let's face it: all final exams are antagonists.

119
Flickr

As we finish the homestretch of our college semester, we can somewhat see the looming vacation, but we also have an army of major antagonists standing in our way: final exams. Whether we are a science major or a business major, a humanities major or an engineering major, there is no doubt that the exams can be real enemies.

In fact, these exams are comparable to enemies who appear in many of our favorite cartoon TV shows and movies:

1. Business/Finance: Monty Burns from "The Simpsons"

What better analogy for the finance final than an antagonist who knows a thing or two about money? Deemed the richest and most powerful Springfield resident, Monty Burns is always thirsty to exert his power because of his wealth. He and a finance final have the same goal: to carry out evil because of all of the money involved.

2. Computer Science: Plankton from "Spongebob Squarepants"

Conspiring with a computer to wreak havoc--sounds about right. Plankton and his computer wife Karen collaborate to steal the secret formula for a Krabby Patty, while your professor and a computer team up to try to stump you on your final.

3. Political Science: Jafar from "Aladdin"

Jafar is a politician. On the exterior, he appears calm and manages to win the trust of those around him. However, he secretly has ruthless tendencies to expand his own power which he accomplishes through deception. Just like the political science exam (and most of the politicians studied), on the surface, the material seems straightforward until the exam comes along and the cruelty of the subject seeps through.

4. Engineering: Dr. Doofenshmirtz from "Phineas and Ferb"

While Phineas and Ferb are masterful engineers in their own right, Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz always attempts to engineer something bigger and able to destroy their own creations. This dynamic sounds awfully familiar--awfully similar to the relationship between us and the exam our engineering professors are going to distribute on the day of the final.

5. Speaking/Communication: Vicky from "Fairly Odd Parents"

As Timmy's babysitter, Vicky is able to fool Timmy's parents that she is kind and responsible, using the power of rhetoric. However, she proves to be vicious once his parents are out of the house. Communications classes rely on the use of rhetoric to convince and persuade, to sway your audience to adopt the belief you want, the way Vicky wants Timmy's parents to believe she is a good babysitter.

6. Art: Anastasia and Drazella from "Cinderella"

Art is a different beast than many of the other classes because it is all relative and entirely subjective. Therefore, art classes inadvertently bring out our competitive fire, when we want our art to be the best. Envious of Cinderella's beauty, her evil stepsisters Anastasia and Drazella do everything in their power to make sure they are chosen by Prince Charming. Our art finals will bring out this same feeling, where we want our art chosen to receive the (well-deserved) A.

7. Nursing: Dr. Claw from "Inspector Gadget"

Nursing exams are notorious for their deceiving answer choices--all of the answers seem correct but it is up to us to determine which one is the most correct. While we are the Inspector Gadgets trying desperately to ace the exam, we have trouble distinguishing choice B from choice C, in the same way that Dr. Claw deceives Inspector Gadget from distinguishing a criminal from a MAD agent. A nursing exam is a Dr. Claw, a faceless evil intelligence that makes it difficult for us to distinguish right from wrong.

8. Biology: Ursula from "The Little Mermaid"

Ursula implements her evil plans underwater by manipulating the biology of the underwater creatures. She converts merfolk into polyps, makes Ariel trade her voice for legs, and designates moray eels as her henchmen. These biological phenomena don't seem possible in real life, but neither do the phenomena on the exam...and we have to try our best to make sense of them.

9. Chemistry: The Witch Queen from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves"

Sorcery is the ultimate way of using chemistry to commit evil...or is it administering a chemistry final exam? The Witch Queen was able to chemically alter an apple to become poisonous and attempt to kill Snow White, but we all know that the real chemically altered poisonous apple will be the exam we're about to take.

10. Education: Angelica Pickles from "Rugrats"

What is the biggest challenge (and the real enemy) of all education majors? Bratty children! Angelica is not only a difficult child, she is tyrannical, manipulative, and outright evil. An education final could remind us of all the reasons we should switch our major--especially because of the evil kids we might have to teach. Yet many education majors persist because they would not trade the rewards of their major for the world.