Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim?

Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim?

4 Steps to Help You Win Your Case

77
Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim?

It is estimated that approximately 200,000 are injured by medical procedures annually. Yet, only about 15 percent of the personal injury lawsuits filed annually are medical malpractice lawsuits. Since more than 80 percent of those end with no money being paid to the claimant, it is important to take the right steps. Here are some things you may want to consider doing to prepare for your medical malpractice lawsuit.

Contact Medical Professionals

Once you realize that a doctor has made a mistake, then ask the doctor to explain what went wrong. Then, ask them what can be done to remedy the situation. They may volunteer to fix the problem at little or no charge. You may also want to get a second opinion to help you determine if you have a case. While you are talking to the second doctor, ask them if they think that your case has merit.

Understand the Law

Every state has a time limit that must be followed in order to file a medical malpractice case. Learn what the time limit is in the state where the procedure was done. While you may have plenty of things to do after you have been injured by a doctor, you do not want to miss this deadline because there is no winning your case if you do. You will also want to start keeping an organized file of all information pertinent to your case. Gather as much information as you can to win your case.

Contact the Medical Board

You do not want the doctor to make the same mistake when they are treating someone else. You should contact the state’s medical board as soon as possible. This allows them to stay abreast of the situation. They will also be able to look for patterns in this doctor’s practice. After all, you want to help protect the public.

Seek a Lawyer

While you can represent yourself in a medical malpractice lawsuit, it is not a wise move. Consider hiring an experienced lawyer, like those at Obradovich Law. A legal representative can help you meet deadlines, file paperwork and get experts to testify in your case when it goes to court. You have enough to worry about, so leaving the hard work to someone with experience makes good sense. They may also have ideas on how to proceed on your case that you have not yet considered.

If you are injured by a medical facility or practitioner, then use these ideas to start a malpractice lawsuit. You were injured through no fault of your own, so make the other party live up to their responsibility.