Fika: A Swedish Word To Live By

Fika: A Swedish Word To Live By

"Making time for friends and colleagues to share a cup of coffee (or tea) and a little something to eat."

44

Life can be overwhelming. Most days are filled with to-do list, errands, work, and other not very fun activities. I find that it is easy to get stuck in a rut when I do the same things over and over. However, I have a hard time breaking from my routine. I worry that if I do not complete my to-do list I will get behind. I used to cling on to my planner like it is a life vest. At the beginning of this year, I decided it was time for me to make a change. Scrolling through my news feed one day, I saw a photo that had the word Fika on it. Fika is a Swedish word that means, "making time for friends and colleagues to share a cup of coffee (or tea) and a little something to eat." I loved this idea. It reminded me that I needed to take time to enjoy the small things in life. My New Year resolution was to find a mini-vacation for everyday.

This is similar to the image I saw on Facebook. Giphy

Life may be filled to the brim with important tasks, but we can't forget what really matters. The most important thing is spending time with friends and family. I would get so caught up with school, work, and extra curricular activities that it would be hard for me to find time to unwind. So, I started making the time. Whether it was grabbing a coffee with my friends and having a conversation, going to trivia night, or popping a bag of popcorn and watching a movie. I started to take a break from focusing on the negative or difficult parts of my life. Instead I began focusing on the love I had all around me. I started to appreciate myself and others more.

I let myself take longer showers so that I could listen to and sing some of my favorite songs. I had breakfast with my friend Sarah before class on Tuesday and Thursday. We could talk to each other and get prepared for the day. I went swimming in the rec center after studying for a few hours.

Through this journey, I have realized that sometimes I have a hard time having fun. I think about everything else I should be doing. However, I learned that I can still achieve my goals while practicing better self-care. Fall semester I did not have a lot of down time. I did not make time to enjoy myself without any responsibility. I did well Fall semester. I made all As and one B. However, during spring semester I did make time for myself to have fun and I learned that my grades did not suffer. I even did a little better. I managed to make all As during the spring semester.

Taking time to enjoy yourself does NOT make you lazy. It is healthy. Spend an hour watching that Netflix show. Go ahead and order the large coffee and talk to your friend about your day. As long as you balance out your fun and your responsibilities, you'll be fine. Take the time to appreciate yourself! Fall in love with yourself, your school or job, and your friends. The days may go by slowly, but the years go by quickly. Make memories. Love life.