8 Fights All New Jersey Kids Have

8 Fights All New Jersey Kids Have

College is full-time defending your home state

253
https://unsplash.com/photos/m1WZS5ye404

For such a small state, kids from New Jersey tend to have many arguments. You notice that once you move out-of-state, defending your home state becomes a full-time job. Jersey kids are crazy, proud of their home, and not afraid to show it.

1. Pork Roll versus Taylor Ham

If you are from any other state, you probably don't even know what this is: its the meat that we put on bagels. "Pork roll" is the type of meat, and "Taylor Ham" is the brand most people buy. North Jersey kids call it Taylor Ham, South Jersey kids call it Pork Roll. And very often, we fight over which is correct.

2. North Jersey versus South Jersey

This state is divided--if the previous argument regarding names of meat didn't tip you off--and the northern half is very different from the southern half. It's everything from what beach you go to, what city you go to, and what teams you cheer for. For such a small state, there are some huge differences.

3. Does Central Jersey exist?

And as if having a division between North Jersey and South Jersey wasn't enough, there is the fight over the existence of Central Jersey. Basically, you only believe Central Jersey exists if you are from Central Jersey. North and South Jersey team up against Central Jersey. It will always happen this way.

4. New York City versus Philadelphia

This just comes from the North Jersey versus South Jersey argument. Growing up, kids call the nearby city simply "the city" which then leads to confusion when two cities are close by. South Jersey kids call Philly "the city," while North Jersey kids will argue that New York City is "the city."

5. Sports teams

Rangers or Devils? Giants or Jets or Eagles? Yankees or Mets or Phillies? There are too many options for such a small state. And too often, we don't have our own teams so we adopt the nearby states' teams.

6. Suburbs versus the city

New Jersey kids like to argue about their state. But one thing they can all agree on is Jersey Bagels and Jersey Pizza are superior to all other states. It takes food to make us all get along.

7. "The shore"

We call it the shore. If you're from North Jersey, you probably say "DTS" for "down the shore." It's not the beach if you're going to New Jersey. It's the shore.

8. New Jersey versus everybody else

It's hard being the "armpit of America!" Especially going to college out-of-state, it is hard when you are stereotyped. New Jersey kids are always arguing with each other over the right term for the meat we put on bagels and if an entire section of our state exists, but we will always band together to defend our home. Jersey Strong always!