How To Be A Fighting Scot 101

How To Be A Fighting Scot 101

The do's and do's of being at Monmouth College.

19
How To Be A Fighting Scot 101
Google Images

Because this is something only we understand. Yes, our campus is small in size and maybe it does smell like nasty pork mixed with wet dog food, but these really will be the best four years of your life. I transferred in my sophomore year and fought it every second of the way. However, being a Monmouth College Class of 2016 graduate, moving away from my friends and learning all about adulting, take this advice. Make sure you do these as an undergrad:

1. Football games.

I really can't stress this enough. Go. Go. GO. GO! Go to tailgating across from County before, walk to the game and have a blast! Go to the top of the hill where SigEp grills out. Sit on the side hill with your "water" bottle. I don't care how you do it, just do it!

2. Spirit Shout.

Sure, it sounds lame, but it's the best time! No, I promise you don't get disqualified. Yes, you look like you shouldn't be out there. Who cares? Go to Spirit Shout!

3. Homecoming.

I don't care how rough you look from Friday night, gear up for Saturday. You better be up and going, music blaring through Bowers, at 9 a.m. Make that 8:30 a.m. I am telling you, Homecoming is so much fun! You'll see alumni at the game, all the events, out on the town, literally everywhere. If you haven't participated in Homecoming before, you better be there for Homecoming 2016.

4. Knox game.

This is an unforgettable opportunity that you can't miss. Guess what, Turkey Bowl 2016 is at home, my fellow Scots. Go harder than you ever have. My junior year, it was home. I can't tell you much about it, but it was a blast!

5. Basketball games.

GO! I wish I would have. They're themed, they're crazy and people wear costumes. What's better?! Your basketball teams don't suck, either, which makes the games even better. Seriously, just go.

6. Reading Day.

You get one per semester. Use them. I would say skip class, but you may have to go. However, that night, who cares? Let loose! This is your day to get it all out. Everything you've held in this semester, let it free.

7. Recruitment.

Go through. I don't care if you're rushing a fraternity or sorority. At least go through and see what they're about. I'm telling you, we are way more than stereotypes at Monmouth College. We actually do a ton! Our community is wonderful!

8. Scots Eve.

If I had two more nights in college, I would have it be Turkey Bowl and Scots Eve. Yes, there are a lot of things that go on on Scots Day, suck it up. Fill up the sand volleyball courts on Scots Eve. Play softball and fall down. Attempt to go on the football field. Seriously, stay up until 4 a.m. when security is still trying to shut down the volleyball courts. Just don't damage anything and you should be fine. This is our day. Don't let 2016 down!

9. BAGS.

If you live in Bowers and you're not outside playing bags on a nice day, we're so disappointed. We can't all be RP and have a mini swimming pool. Or the second-floor football players and bring out three TVs just to watch the game, but you can play a game of bags and grill out. Live it up!

10. Bowers.

And finally, Bowers. This is the greatest place to live. There's always a diverse group of people. You will find, at the end of the year, you've gotten close to at least three new people and can hold a conversation with many more new faces. If you're not waking up to music blaring at 3 a.m., stumbling in your door at 4 a.m. or having a conversation you won't remember in the lounge, did you do college right? I would say play the piano, but I don't know if you got in trouble for that. Just beware, the camera are everywhere. Wander into random parties on one of the floors if you live there (don't get me started on underclassmen roaming into Bowers aimlessly). Make Bowers what it's always been! Sleeping is for Peterson.