Fiction On Odyssey: Redpunzel

Fiction On Odyssey: Redpunzel, The REAL Rapunzel Story

A little twist on a familiar tale.

61

A story thought by Jennifer Nguyen, Lily Chao, Nicole Ma, and Riley Kallina.

We all know the story of the beautiful princess named Rapunzel, however, Disney left out one major detail. Here's the real story.

Once upon a time, there was an adorable child named Rapunzel. Rapunzel had ever-growing blonde hair that touched the floor by the age of five. Because of several mysterious murders occurring throughout the village, her parents kept her locked inside the house to keep her safe from the dangers of the world.

As time elapsed, the murders became more frequent and violent. One afternoon, her father left to fetch water by the well while Rapunzel and her mother stayed in the cabin. He came back to find his wife's bloody body, lifeless on the ground, and Rapunzel hiding in the closet covered in blood. Her father was deeply concerned for her sanity, for how can a girl this young face the death of her mother. Because of her apathetic attitude towards the incident, he sent Rapunzel off to live with an enchantress within a tower deep in the forest.

As she grew up, she found ways to entertain herself in this place of isolation such as singing, painting and brushing her hair. One day when Rapunzel was playing with her pet chameleon, the enchantress walked by and noticed something out of place.

Enchantress: "Rapunzel, what happened? Why has your ever so beautiful blonde hair turned red?"

Rapunzel: "Oh, don't worry, I was just trying out a new shade of red."

[Pascal, the chameleon, limps out into view]

Enchantress: "Rapunzel, darling, may I take a look at Pascal?"

Rapunzel reluctantly held him up for her to see, and to the enchantress' surprise he was missing a leg. She asked Rapunzel, "Who did this?" and Rapunzel calmly smiled and exclaimed, "I was just playing doctor with him." Angry at what Rapunzel had done, she came up with an idea: timeout in the closet. She grabbed the door handle, swung open the door only to be greeted by a strange, heavy object. She let out a scream and hit her head as she fell to the ground. Before she completely blacked out, she saw Rapunzel sitting on the ground watching her, smiling, not giving a care in the world.

One summer's day, a distant scream was heard by Prince Eugene, and he decided to discover the source. He was led towards a forest and continued to search. Finally, he began to hear a distant melody. The voice was so lovely Eugene forgot the scream he had once heard. Following the voice, he arrived upon an enormous tower. He called up to the tower,

Eugene: "My beautiful maiden, what is thy name?"

[Rapunzel abruptly stops singing and peeks out the window]

Eugene: "Your voice is as soft as silk and as rich as me."

Rapunzel: "My name is Rapunzel, and who might you be?"

Eugene: "I am Prince Eugene, and I had heard of a blonde-haired beauty living up in a tower, and I have come to rescue you."

Rapunzel: "I am not able to come down, but perhaps you could climb up here."

[Rapunzel lets down her crimson red hair and Eugene begins to climb up]

Eugene: "Rapunzel why is your hair so red and wet?"

Rapunzel: "Why do you have so many questions? I just dyed it red a few minutes ago don't worry about it."

[Eugene arrives at the top of the tower where he sees an open closet littered with bodies and the freshly killed body of the enchantress. He looks down at himself to see he is covered in blood, blood that came from Rapunzel's red hair. He realizes what is about to happen and he screams]

Eugene: "HAVE YOU NO MERCY FOR THESE INNOCENT LIVES! DO YOU NOT FEEL GUILT FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE?!"

[Rapunzel laughs softly]

Rapunzel: "I've felt nothing….even when I killed my own mother"

[Rapunzel grabs her hair and twists it around the prince's neck, she pushes him out the window and he hangs there, just another dead body hanging from her window.]

THE END