Fiction On Odyssey: Elementals: A Bad Afternoon

Elementals Chapter 4

5
Peter Flood

Billy paced back and forth in the living room. The sound of his feet hitting the carpet again and again was starting to get on Molly’s nerves but she suppressed the irritation.

“I didn’t know that you and Elli were an item,” Molly said. Billy didn’t stop pacing.

“We weren’t big on public displays of affection,” Billy said. “It wasn’t a secret or anything, we just didn’t make a lot of it in public.”

“Still, you never told me,” Molly said.

“You never asked,” Billy said. A buzzing came from the kitchen table. Billy ran over and answered his phone. “William speaking,” He said. “Yes, how is she?” There was a pregnant pause. “Oh, Thank God. I was so afraid that… Yes, still a long way to go. But at least she’s stable. Do you know when a good time to visit her would be? Next week? Can’t I see her before she wakes up? Just as moral support? Tomorrow afternoon, I’ll be there. Thank you, goodbye, Mrs. Didaro.”

“What’s the news?” Molly asked.

“El is going to survive,” Billy said. “The doctors don’t think there is going to be any long-lasting damage.”

“What happened? Why did she almost get electrocuted?” Molly asked.

Billy flushed. “She always liked the little shocks, thought they were cute and fun. It has never been that strong before.”

“I almost got fried this morning too!” Molly said.

“That was different,” Billy said. His face was getting more red. “There shouldn’t have been so much electricity I wasn’t…” Billy looked at the floor. “I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

Molly stood up. “Come here.” She opened her arms for a hug.

“Not right now.” Billy turned and ran up the stairs.

“Fine, whatever.” Molly sat down again. The telephone rang. “Really?” Molly said to herself. “I’ll get it.”

“The Finbard Residence,” Molly said.

“Molly, it’s your uncle Ben. I need Billy to come get me from the Giant Eagle. There’s been an accident, the van is, uh, gone. Tommy and I are OK, but we need Billy to come get us.”

“Billy isn’t up for driving right now,” Molly said. “I could call my mom.”

“Maybe,” uncle Ben said. “Tommy is a little on edge right now and Billy has the special touch.”

“Let me talk to Billy, he really has had a bad day. But I’ll send someone for you.”

“Thanks,” uncle Ben said. He hung up the phone.

Molly went up the stairs. She knocked on Billy’s door. “Hey, your dad needs a ride, they’re at the Giant Eagle. He said that the van is gone but he and Tommy are fine.”

There was a shuffling sound and Billy opened the door. He didn’t meet Molly’s eyes but she could see his cheeks were wet and his eyes were red.

“Do you want me to come along?” Molly asked.

“I really don’t,” Billy said. “But you should come along anyway. I’m not feeling so hot and I need the company.”

Molly followed Billy to the car, bewildered by his response and unsure how to feel. At the Giant Eagle, Uncle Ben was standing by the entrance where little Tommy was riding on a 25 cent pony.

“Thank god you kids are here,” uncle Ben said. “The fire company just wheeled the van away. They said it was probably squirles nesting in the engine. But the whole thing caught on fire. Lucky thing Tommy hadn’t gotten in yet.” There was a nervouseness about him. He was on edge himself.

“Why don’t we get you two home,” Molly said. “You must be exhausted.” She kept the false pleasentness up. “Why don’t you sit in the back with Tommy, Billy and I can handle the driving.”

“Hey, little man,” Billy said. He had put on an air of bravo. “Let’s hop off that horse and gallop on home.”

“The car was on fire!” Tommy shouted. “But I wasn’t even crying!”

“What a brave little man,” Billy said.

“No, he’s right,” uncle Ben said. “He wasn’t crying; he was just a little upset.”

“Then why did the car catch on fire?” Billy asked.

“I don’t know,” uncle Ben said. “But I think something is changing about the uniqueness.”