Fiction on Odyssey: A Reply for Mr. Fievel C. von Petrov

Sir, thank you very much for the gracious apology and welcome... While I have you, maybe you could help me find someone important...

34
Flickr

Author's Note: Before you read this, you may want to take a look at the previous letter

Dear Mr. von Petrov:

I have to apologize in advance for the wording of this. As you might have imagined, this letter is being transcribed by a dictation app.

It's perfectly fine that you stopped by the other day, I figured you were probably just being neighborly or something. I heard somewhere that people on the South Side are try to be friendly with one another, try not to get caught up in the fog of the city life, as they say. I guess it's one more to know.

So this place was where you grew up, huh? Well, as per any place in the city, it seems luxurious. Although it does smell strongly of sage... People are buying too much into the "ghosts", I didn't hear any, but I kinda wish there were. At least I'd be able to make sense of the past. Oh, well... I should explain that. You see, sometime before the end of the revolution, I was in some kind of accident... Plane? Well... regardless, it cost me a good chunk of my memory as well as my sight, so I've spent the past 17 years trying to restore my memories and try to make a living. Oh, yes, the Sonar Interface Staff was mine, and it's certainly been helpful in navigating Bespredel, though I have made a bunch of great guesses relative to where everything is. But... That's just the beginning. I have a more ambitious project in mind.

Anyway, about your sister. You seemed to have loved Kitty a lot, and I'm sorry for your loss. From what you described, she sounds like a wonderful person. It sounds as if you couldn't do much to protect her, yet you did all you could. It's truly awful to lose someone close to you, and so young too... But really, I wouldn't know. I don't know who or where my family is... I believe they're somewhere in the city. Maybe. I mean, there has to be at least somebody left over from the war... Once I figure out who.

Oh! Actually, I do have one question for you. You seem like a fixture here in the South Side, so I was wondering if you knew, or at least knew of someone. He's not exactly family, but definitely someone close to me. I'm blanking on the name, but I have a description. Diamond face, kind of pale, plain by your glamorous city standards, but still something about him... His most distinguishing feature is his eyes, which are a beautiful cerulean, wait no, electric blue. Yes, electric blue... Often hidden behind glasses, but... Still very much noticeable. He should hopefully still have the reputation of being a good man... Hopefully the war hasn't done anything to hurt him so... Erm, well... I'd like to keep this short, so I guess I'll stop there. If you would, Mr. von Petrov, please tell me if you know of such a man. He's been a prominent memory of mine, and perhaps he was - I mean, he could help with this mess.

Thank you very much for being gracious, it's certainly a change from the outskirts. I understand that this house is important to you, and you're welcome to visit, but do let me know first, so we don't have any more surprises, please?

Yours Truly,

Cate Tesla