Fiction on Odyssey: A Letter for Miss Cate A. Tesla

I apologize for disturbing you... Though it's a comfort to know someone like you is staying in the old house.

52

(Author's Note: This is part of a larger product. While this letter only appears in fragments in my novel, it introduces the world and a few of the main characters.)

Dear Miss Tesla:

Once again, I apologize for stopping by yesterday unannounced. I was not aware the new owner had moved into Bespredel Manor so soon. A stranger on your doorstep must have frightened you, especially with your being, well, blind. As my assistant wasn't with me, there was a failure to communicate. I'm deaf, and as you cannot judge where a stranger's eyes are, I was unable to read your lips, so I'm sending you a written explanation. Thank the heavens for those new text to speech apps on the holo-computers... At least something good came out of the 24th century...

You see, Bespredel Manor was my childhood home. It had been in my family for generations, even since before the old regime. I lived there with my parents and sister, that was, until, the Commander found out about my father's dealings in the old black market. Just like that, everything was gone. The resistance rescued me in time, but the rest weren't that lucky. This place has been abandoned ever since.

Now you may be thinking, why did the old estate of a multi-billionaire sell so cheap? Ghosts, of course. Usually supernatural sells. A good ghost story would have had people flocking here. But, surprisingly, no. Sympathizers here in the city were too afraid of my parents' ghosts torturing them. So, the realtors thought perhaps those on our side, or even the outsiders would put in a bid. Alas, but no. They'd feared the ghost of my baby sister. Kitty was only seventeen when the incident had happened, but unlike my parents, her death was slow. I found out that she'd returned to the city to exact her revenge, but her mind... her poor mind... What had been once vivacious and innovative had turned dark and cruel. Perhaps if I'd done more to help her, or if he, "The Good Doctor" as he's known now, hadn't gotten close to her.... Even now he insists that he'd rather die than hurt Kitty, though from my observations, he's merely an excellent liar... Avoid him at all costs.

Although, when I asked you about any spirit, I did make out a faint "Not really". You're likely a woman of science. Now that I think of it, I've seen your name somewhere before... You're the one who invented that sonar machine, aren't you? It's comforting to know that yet another inventor is living in that house... None have lived there since Kitty. She always dreamed of making the world a better place. It's truly a shame... If only my baby sister had seen the end of the revolution. I have to be honest, when I first saw you, you kind of reminded me of her, how she'd look if she lived to your age. It's very likely a coincidence, you're probably one of those 7 theorized doppelgangers. She'd get a kick out of that, she would...

Besides the point, I should be neighborly and welcome you to the city. It's a lot less pristine than it was in the past, so you'll have an easier time here. If you have any questions about the area, or need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask, and I could stop by if you'd like. (This time, I'll be sure to bring Rufina with me) I wish you good luck in adjusting.

Your Obedient,

Fievel C. von Petrov