Festival Feature: Buku Music + Art Project

Don't miss one of the South's best music festivals in March!

34
The Buku Project

Festival season is upon us, and I am torn in two directions between my bank account and my festival addiction. I live in South Mississippi, and I often travel to New Orleans to go to concerts and festivals. My favorite festival that I've attended so far is Buku Music + Art Project.

The first year that I attended Buku is actually a funny story. New to the EDM scene, I wasn't sure what to expect. The only music festival that I had attended before Buku was Music Midtown in Atlanta, Georgia. Music Midtown was more "mainstream" with headliners like Iggy Azalea and Eminem. So I dressed in a black Piko top, blue jeans, and sandals with a full face of makeup and headed to Buku with my boyfriend. Ha! Looking back I roll my eyes at my attire and my expectations. That year, I got to see Zomboy, RL Grime, and Bassnectar. Unfortunately, I missed ODESZA and G-Eazy (so upset!) because I didn't listen to much of their music at the time.

Last year, I went to Buku again with my boyfriend and best friend. I was much better prepared this time and I knew most of the performers on the lineup. We saw Purity Ring (amazing!), Pretty Lights with a live band, What So Not, Yellow Claw, and Feed Me. We also went to one of the Buku Late after-parties, which was equally as amazing.

This year, I'm hoping to get a single-day pass, and I'm also going to a few of the after parties. Read below to hear about this year's Buku Music + Art Project, and purchase your tickets here.

Where? New Orleans, Louisiana - Mardi Gras World

When? March 10 - 11, 2017

Who? Top performers on the lineup include Deadmau5, Travis Scott, Zeds Dead, and ZHU. Some of my favorite artists that are performing are Slushii, The Floozies, Minnesota, and Space Jesus. View the full lineup here.

Tickets. Early bird sales have ended, but Buku still offers some of the most reasonable prices for music festivals. General admission 2-day passes go for $189.99 for a weekend pass or $99.99 for single-day passes. Buku offers several VIP packages starting at $419.99 for a weekend pass or $209.99 for single-day passes. Although Buku is not a camping festival, they still offer travel passes starting at $979.50 which includes a hotel stay.

My Experience. I have attended Buku for the past two years, and I absolutely love it. New Orleans is my favorite city and somewhere I travel to often to attend concerts and festivals. Overall, Buku will always be one of my favorite music festivals, and I don't want to miss it this year. If you're thinking about attending Buku this year, be sure to check out the after-parties that take place at Joy Theatre and Republic NOLA (my favorite music venue by far). Some of the headliners of the Buku Late afterparties include Zeds Dead, Griz, Gramatik, and Space Jesus. Heads up: if you're attending an after party, you will definitely want to get a hotel room. Last year, I was still driving home at 8:00 the next morning!

Buku also includes some very cool art displays featuring the Live Graffiti Gallery, and has some of the best food you will ever find at a music festival!

I will be posting festival features every month so be sure to comment below and let me know your favorite festival so I can check it out!