Hey Fergie, Big Girls Can Cry

Hey Fergie, Big Girls Can Cry

Next time you hear "Big Girls Don't Cry," really listen to the lyrics, and understand that it's perfectly acceptable to ignore them.

375
Hey Fergie, Big Girls Can Cry
Photo by Julia Caesar on Unsplash

I'm sure you've all heard Fergie's 2006 pop hit, "Big Girls Don't Cry." A great song to sing along to, a throwback we can recite every single word to, but I ask, have you ever stopped to think about the lyrics?

Fergie sings about a failed relationship, missing someone, and how it is time to move on and be a "big girl." The most repeated lines of her song say "And big girls don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry." While she also sings about how she needs to figure herself out and may not necessarily need a man to do so, even the name of the song states that in our society, "big girls don't cry."

Why is that though? Why can't big girls cry? Why can't anyone, of any gender, at any age, cry, for whatever reason they deem acceptable? The year is 2017, and it is time for the whole of society to understand that anyone, no matter who they are, can feel emotions and are free to express them.

It doesn't make you "weak" to have feelings.

And it doesn't mean you aren't a "big girl" if you cry.

Crying is good for your health. It flushes unhealthy bacteria out of your body, strengthening the immune system, and relieving stress. Emotions are good for your health, and it is never a good idea to keep things bottled up inside.

Our society tends to focus on our physical health, paying little attention to mental health. What we need to realize is that our mind needs as much attention as our body in order for us to be our best selves -- this can include shedding a few tears to let go of some anger or sadness. Next time you hear "Big Girls Don't Cry," really listen to the lyrics, and understand that it's perfectly acceptable to ignore them.