Why We Should All Be Feminists

Why We Should All Be Feminists

Seriously, everyone.

28
Why We Should All Be Feminists

Feminism.

A word that is often plagued by misinterpretation and misunderstanding, feminism is one of the biggest social controversies of the 21st century, with everyone weighing in with their opinion on the word and the meaning behind it.

By definition (according to Google), feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." So, why is everyone fighting about whether the feminist movement is needed in our country? The main reason people aren't for feminism is because they truly don't understand what the movement is all about. Plain and simple, feminists just want the same rights as men, and they want to be seen as just as much of a person as a man.

There are many people who argue that men and women have equal rights now and that there is nothing to be fixed, but this is simply not true. To this day, women earn about 78.3 percent as much as men do in the same profession (women of color earn even less). This statistic alone tells you that something is wrong with our society. If you think that women and men are "now equal," then you just aren't seeing what is truly happening right now.

Social change needs to happen right now, and feminists are working toward making this country a better place to live not only for women, but also for men. Contrary to popular belief, men can be feminists, too, with celebrities like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jon Hamm, among many others, "coming out" as feminists. Any man who believes that a woman should have equal rights as him is a feminist.

If you're not yet convinced that you should be a feminist, then I'll leave you with one last argument:

Beyonce is a feminist, and she is basically perfection on Earth and the queen of everything, so take a word of advice from Queen Bey and give feminism a chance.