Feminists and equality
Politics

Modern Feminism Is Not About Equality

Feminists only want the positive sides of equality but true equality is, well, mercilessly equal

186
Modern Feminism Is Not About Equality
https://www.maxpixel.net/Womens-March-Women-2018-Feminist-Feminism-March-3422243

I would like to start this off by saying I am not an anti-feminist, merely a skeptic, and I fully support the fight of women to be equal. I also recognize that being a woman is incredibly hard and their continued resilience and fortitude is admirable - and should be an example for all even if it should not have to be. I do believe most feminists have good interests in their hearts, but the feminism movement they stand with is, at times, ridiculously hypocritical. It is because of these double standards that I do not and can not identify myself as a feminist. Feminism has done some incredible things for women - to deny that is terribly ignorant, but the new third wave feminists have derailed the movement so much so that men (like myself) are finding it very hard to say "I am a feminist". But..why?

Let's explore that.

Feminism has increasingly been pitting woman against woman, a "one of us" or "you're part of the problem" mentality. Feminism has also taken sides in politics, leaning towards the left-wing Democrats. For example, take Kellyanne Conway, who ran Donald Trump's campaign. She became the first woman to run a successful election campaign and thus should have become a feminist idol, celebrated for her extraordinary achievement. But no, left-wing feminists, already upset that their Democratic nominee and their own feminist icon Hilary Clinton had lost, called Conway "anti-woman" and mocked her hairstyle and clothes, the very insults feminists are presumably not supposed to tolerate. Furthermore, Democratic Representative Cedric Richmond made a joke about how Conway "looked familiar" kneeling on an Oval Office couch, his rebuttal to a Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky jest. Where were the droves of feminists defending Conway against such a repulsive joke?

Nowhere to be found, because feminists only protect women when it's easy for them to do so or when the victim is in their own "sisterhood". And that is why, in good conscience, I cannot support a movement that does not fight misogyny against all women, whether or not their ideas and beliefs are the same. Women's Rights should not take sides in politics.

When I told some female peers that I'm not a feminist, I was met with very hostile looks. "It takes a real man to be a feminist" one said. Another "time to grow some balls". It's incredibly ironic and typical of feminists to use patriarchal insults against men. If feminists truly wanted to liberate men and women from gender roles, they would not use such gender role enforcement tactics. From what I've read and seen online, and through my own personal experiences, these tactics are the new normal for feminists.

Some feminist victories have turned the tide in favor of women. A recent article by the Washington Post has shown that women are now two times more likely to be chosen than equally qualified men in STEM fields. It's great that feminism has given women the confidence to pursue careers in STEM fields - but now that the balance has shifted, where did the feminists go? Is the feminist interpretation of the word "equality" a world where men are disadvantaged? Occasionally I've been told that once women are not at a disadvantage, it no longer is a feminist issue - and that leaves me with two points. One, that feminism is only about equality when it benefits women. And two, if it is no longer a feminist issue, then where do I turn to? Men's Rights Activists (MRAs) have been so viciously vilified as misogynistic male supremacists by feminism, that to affiliate with them is social suicide. I can't fight for my own rights when feminists shoot down any notion that women have any semblance of privilege as me expressing my patriarchal hatred of them. It's a constant Catch-22 that is as frustrating as it is unfair.

I've been told every scenario I've outlined is not in the true spirit of feminism. If that is so, true feminists need to be more vocal in their rejection of these blatant double standards. I understand that the media often portrays the extreme sides because that garners more views, more clicks, and ultimately more money. However, everyone has a voice and the fact that the majority of feminists are silent on this is appalling. Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of Hilary Clinton, did defend Kellyanne Conway when she was attacked, and if that is what true feminism, then I am all for that. And ultimately, I will keep my faith in the innate goodness of humanity, that men and women alike will either realize feminism is not truly about equality and change it for the better, or denounce it as a relic of the past. But today's feminism is not for any self-respecting man or woman and as Martin Luther King once famously said, "The time is always right to do what is right". Let's get to it.