I've Been Objectified As A Woman And I'm Over It

We're not objects, we're goddamn human beings!

21
Huffington Post

We're not objects, we're not toys, we're not bodies to screw, we're not a late night booty call, we're not a challenge, we're not emotionless, we're not empty. We're goddamn human beings!

I feel personally objectified and I am done putting up with it! In light of the recent hit Netflix series, "13 Reasons Why," I urge everyone to take a step back and look at themselves and ask, "am I guilting of objectifying someone?" Maybe you are and maybe you are not. We all have the tendency to act subconsciously, unaware of the impact we have on others. We're all guilty of having bouts of selfishness. We're all human, is what it comes down to. As human beings, we make mistakes because nobody is nor can be 100% flawless. We succumb to common follies, yet it's how we go on, treat others, treat ourselves, and treat the world, that matters.

The beautiful truth about human beings is that we're resilient. When one thing feels too great a challenge, we conquer and continue on to the next. In knowing that, we're only resilient to a point. What is that breaking point you ask? It differs, for every individual and every individual case.

Yesterday I reached my breaking point-- All in a single week, I have been used, emotionally challenged, sexually harassed and objectified, coerced, stolen from, apologized to for previous harassment and then harassed moments later, and subject to an attempt at verbal manipulation. I'm not one to publicly bitch, but I AM DONE!

When you're left feeling empty and alone, regardless of the remaining outstanding people you have surrounding you, all that's left to want is to be left alone. The risk of subjecting oneself to any negative outside forces begins to feel overwhelming and suddenly all you crave is isolation.

I left a local cafe yesterday evening after experiencing my final straw moment of objectification, wanting to scream, "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

With the virility of "13 Reasons Why" I am urged to resort back to the storyline as not only an example but a lesson. Hannah Baker's suicide is a lesson. The 13 students at fault are lessons. Now take these lessons. Don't just watch, but feel. Feel the remorse for previous acts but don't pity yourself. Feel the pain from experience and stand up. Move forward, making sure to engage differently in future interactions.

If you're guilty of victimizing others, be kind, think before you speak and act, do for someone else once a day, work to slowly better incorporate the thoughts and emotions of others, and assess the potential impact of your words and actions before acted upon.

If you feel victimized, step back and reassess your surroundings, your friends, your acquaintances, your habits, and your goals. Be resilient, find the value in good friends and discard the negative ones, be yourself, and stand up for who you know you are. Say what's on your mind and be bold. Don't stand idly by. Speak up even if it feels impossible. Be resilient and belt, "I'M NOT TAKING IT ANYMORE!"