I Feel Like An American Citizen Who Has Made A Difference

What it felt like to vote in a presidential election for the first time

1

The United States will face a major change.

The 45th president of the United States is soon to be elected.

Very soon, as a matter of fact.

Woah.

You know what else is interesting?

I voted in a presidential election for the first time in my life just the other day.

The funny thing is I didn't even plan to vote on the day I did. I planned to wait until Election Day on Tuesday, November 8.

On Tuesday, November 1, I was planning for it to be just another day on campus. I was going to go to my classes, return to my dorm, do my homework, do laundry and relax a little bit. Then, after my first class in the morning, I checked my email to find out that my second class to be held in the afternoon was cancelled. Therefore, I had so much extra time on my plate.

What was I going to do with these hours, you ask? I wasn't too sure at first. I thought about going to my dorm early to take a nap or start doing homework. But then I stopped and thought about the election with it being only seven days away, and I remembered that Massachusetts has early voting. After looking up where I could vote early in my hometown, I decided to go back home for the afternoon so I could cast my ballot.

How did it feel, you also ask? Well, considering that this was my first time voting in such an important election, it was surely a feeling where I truly felt like an adult. I am now old enough to use my voice in a time when change is coming. Knowing that my voice is being heard makes me feel as though I am making a difference, regardless of the final outcome.

This political race has, without a doubt, been such a historic roller coaster ride. Yes, I know all too well - the outcome is going to be nerve wracking considering the candidates. I would prefer not to disclose who I voted for in this article, but regardless of whether or not my choice wins, I know my vote counted.

Early voting is now over and all that is left is Election Day this upcoming Tuesday. If you have not voted yet, please get out and vote on that day. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Out of the millions of votes across the country, every single one matters.

We are the voters of this country. It's time to speak up.