5 Things to Remember When You're Stressed, Low, Or When Nothing is Going Right

Life is a steel-toed boot that will kick you when you're already down, but its up to you to put up a fight back.

98

Sometimes it feels like the world is fighting against you in a thousand different ways. Whether the person you're crushing on has neglected you, your family issues have escalated, or your mental health is being tested, it feels like you're surrounded by swords at all sides, and one wrong move and you're skewered.

There are only so many things you can tell yourself to fight the onslaught of life's jabs. However, there are a few reminders that I use to feel better, and you can use them if you find them helpful too.

Breathe.

As much as it hurts or as stressed as you are, you are alive. You are okay. Breathe to remember that, and so you don't pass out. As long as you breathe, even if you're crying, you'll feel a little better. Slowing your heart rate is a great first step to calming yourself down.

Switch thoughts; think of all the good things in your life.

You don't have to believe in the divine to remember how lucky you are. Think of every person who loves you, every good thing you've ever experienced, every bout of good luck you've ever had. Just simmer with that for a minute, and realize there are greater things in life ahead than the bad things happening right now. There are more important moments ahead of you, and you are not facing the end of the world.

If you need to, talk it out with someone. 

While it could be the hardest part of the whole situation, there's always someone there for you. A therapist, your parents, friends, anyone -- you can talk to these people just to get things off your chest, for advice, anything. You are never truly alone, and there are always options when you're feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or down. Communicating how you feel, verbalizing your emotions, can sometimes be the answer for people. It depends on the person.

Take time for yourself. 

Not everyone can deal with talking it out at first. Some people need to be alone to rationalize the issues at hand. There's nothing wrong with that either, but don't shut yourself out of people's lives for the sake of your own. If they truly care, they'll respect that you need space and give you what you need. In this reflective time, don't start blaming people or blaming yourself. Objectively look at the situation and make an unbiased, Switzerland-like conclusion.

Never forget that you are great.

You are an amazing person, inside and out. No matter the circumstance, you are strong for handling it. You are a rolling stone, and you will get through this turmoil. Never forget your worth or your own happiness, and how it definitely matters more than another's.

Whether these reminders work for you or not, know that you are not alone. You can find help if you need it or rationalize it in your own time by yourself. You are a wonderful person, and I'm sorry for whatever you're going through. No one truly knows how one feels until they walk in your shoes. Just don't be afraid to let someone borrow your sneakers.