FEAR: Is It Stopping You?
Wellbeing

FEAR, Is It Stopping You?

What to know about conquering fear and anxiety

6
FEAR, Is It Stopping You?

How often do you do things you've never tried before? Are you the type of person that sticks to their routine, or one that jumps at the chance to do something new? No matter how small, I have always been one to stick to what I know. The comfort of my own bubble, a place where I only do things I am sure of, has been unmatched compared to the "unknown." Many would blame this on anxiety. The reality, though, is that it is fear. Fear can control and dictate every move you make… if you let it.

Someone once shared with me an acronym for fear that holds great power. Face. Everything. And. Rise. Four words. Every day, I repeat those four words. If fear is something that you have realized consumes you, I challenge you to do one thing that moves you from your comfort zone. Begin small with little activities that you would have declined in the past. Go out more, take up a new activity, or say yes when someone asks more of you than you are used to. These conscious efforts will start to feel like nothing, and then you will want to take on more and more. Pretty soon you'll realize that YOU can conquer anything.

Finding your voice, your confidence, and courage through F.E.A.R. is a great start, but without the second component, you'll never be completely rid of fear and anxiety. Replacing your fears with little experiences of empowerment will help you to stay on track and minimize that fearful feeling. For me, I replaced the thoughts of "I can't" with actual evidence of times I could and did. I stopped thinking about the negative and worked to remind myself of the times I proved capable and triumphant. I also turned to God. I recognize this is not something that will resonant with everyone, but I do strongly encourage you to turn toward faith no matter what religion you are. The reminder that a higher power is in control can change your perception mentally and help ease your daily fear. Remember Psalm 34:4 "I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears" or Philippians 4:13 that declares "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Find different quotes or advice that resonate with you individually and use them to your advantage: learn it, memorize it, become it.