My Favorite Things About Being An Upperclassman At UMass Amherst

What I love about being a senior at UMass

35
Her Campus

This is it, senior year. There's a lot to be sad about with the passing of my last year in college, but also a lot to celebrate. The stresses of freshman year are no more an issue (for the most part). Here are a few of my favorite things about being an upperclassman at UMass Amherst.

1. I Know Where Everything Is

There is no more guesswork involved with getting to classes on the first day of the semester. I don't need to identify myself as an underclassman by walking around with a campus map open on my phone. I will admit, I don't know where EVERYTHING is, but pretty close. If I don't know where something is, I not longer feel ashamed to ask for help because, hey, I'm a senior, I run this place.

2. No Freshman 15

*Theoretically* there is no more risk of gaining the freshman 15. It has yet to be discovered if the senior 17 is a thing, but I'm crossing my fingers that the whole "college weight gain" thing has passed.

3. The Dining Commons Don't Intimidate Me

We all know Hamp can be a little confusing with its round and never ending set up. After three years here, I can officially say I have conquered the layout of all of the dining commons. I no longer walk around aimlessly looking for the pizza or silverware, I just know where they are. This takes away most of the stress of going to the dining commons.

4. I Do Everything Alone

After high school, it felt like no matter what I did, I had to be with someone else. I walked to class with friends, I ate with friends, I sat in class with friends, I went to the bathroom with friends. Now, I don't really give a damn if I'm sitting alone in the dining hall eating a mountain of carbs. Who cares?

5. No More Dorms

For the love of God, I hated living in a dorm. There was no space for my stuff, no privacy and no place for my dog. I will admit that I met some great friends in my hall, but it still sucked living there. I much prefer living in my cozy apartment with my dog.

6. Partying

It is way less stressful going to a party knowing that you are not doing anything illegal. I know that if the police show up and start carding people, I'm in the clear. Not to mention, I know where all the good parties take place, and all the creepy frats to avoid.

7. Classes

The classes that you take as an upperclassman are directly related to what you want to do occupation-wise. As a STPEC major, I no longer have to take chemistry or archaeology. I get to take classes that I'm actually excited to go to.

These past three years have been incredible and challenging. If you're an underclassman here at UMass Amherst, these are the things you have to look forward to. I'm excited to see what senior year holds for me!