My Favorite and LEAST Favorite Thing About College

It is liberating yet lonely

This article was inspired by two MapWorks survey questions for my university and these following questions were on there:

What is your favorite part about college?

What is your least favorite part about college?

What is my favorite part about college?

My favorite part about college is all of the independence that I have. The freedom to do whatever my young heart desires. I can make or break rules, I can make bad decisions if I am up to it, and I have no boundaries to stop me from what I want to do.

I am not like that, I usually follow the rules, I study, I put in my time, being in college is like being in the doorway to adulthood, I don’t want to break down the door and ruin it, I have a whole house to explore. I have always been independent, even at a young age, I know how money works and I am not going to waste my money by doing bad things or buying unnecessary items. I want to better myself because it is my freedom to choose what I want to do. I have the choice to screw things up, I have the choice to better my life, and my independence lets me choose.

What is my least favorite part about college?

My least favorite part about college is the intense loneliness that I suffer. I am not saying that I am entirely lonely, I do have friends (back home), I have made friends (the people who forced me to talk to them, they are pretty cool and I love them), but I still feel lonely. I am from Pennsylvania (PA) whilst living in Wisconsin (WI), the people I am friends with here at UWW go home almost every weekend because they live a maximum of three hours away. I am stuck here in my empty dorm, in the empty residence hall on the empty campus. My feelings with being lonely merge with my feelings of missing my family in Pennsylvania and my hometown.

Homesick- adjective-sad or depressed from a longing for home or family while away from them for a long time.

Homesickness is a real thing and it definitely factors in my sense of loneliness, it hurts emotionally and physically, and that is why it is my least favorite part of college.

Everyone’s favorite thing and least favorite thing about college are different for everyone. When I was told to answer these questions for the MapWorks Survey it really caused me to think “What IS my favorite AND least favorite thing about college??” I have talked to my college friends about these questions, my friends have definitely agreed to my least favorite thing about college. Typical things that I have heard talking to people for college:

Favorite: Parties; making friends; classes; leaving home; independence

Least favorite: Homesickness; loneliness; classes; professors; bad roommates; assignments