Asking Celebrities To Speak Out On Social Issues Is Not Too Much

When they come for you, I will shield your name, I will field their questions, I will feel your pain -CTR

263
nydailynews.com

To speak out on, acknowledge, or engage in conversation about social issues is not necessarily activism on its own. Although activism definitely involves these components. Activism by definition is more than recognizing social issues, it is actively working and fighting to provide solutions for these issues. That is not a lane that is for everybody and, therefore, not everyone can be a social activist nor should they be expected to be if they aren’t equipped with the resources, skills and intentions of doing do. However, within recent months the comments that have come from various celebrities in terms of the "Black Lives Matter Movement" as well as the silence from various celebrities not only raised eyebrows but raised questions of what obligations celebrities have to speak out about social issues.

“I don’t wanna talk about no f*cking Ferguson and sh*t because I don’t live over there. I live in f*cking SoHo and Beverly Hills. I can’t relate,” — A$AP ROCKY

It seems that young Rakim Mayers has already forgotten where he is from and the demographic of fans he started out with. He is not the first to say something like this and really it's telling to how often, when people of color reach a pinnacle of success, we suddenly think we have transcended race and the humble beginnings from which we came from. Suddenly the circumstances and conditions that plagued our lives and livelihood are gone and so must be any implications of oppression. Rakim, you're way off. Once upon a time, you were very familiar with what it means to be black, once upon a time, your dreams were just dreams but even your dreams didn't wash away your black skin. What your success and fame also didn't do was erase the skin of an overwhelming majority of your fan base. When you first started as that “pretty mothaf*cker” repping Harlem, brown boys and girls were bumping your shit, and hyping your shit. Long before you ever saw Europe or the fashion industry. So while you’ve attained a level of success that has afforded you the luxury to delusionally think you are exempt from racial strife and oppression, your brown fans have not. A large demographic of the people who buy, listen to and follow your music and career are being killed in the streets by police daily. To say you “can't relate” and therefore would like to withhold commentary is either obtuse or arrogant, you’d have to tell me which one more so. What is more interesting about this is simply that, should tomorrow, God forbid, you're slain at the hands of police officers, these black and brown people whose plight you “can't relate” to, fan of your music or not, will raise hell to make sure the world knows the injustice carried against your life. We will be the ones to hashtag, march, protest, rally and overall scream from every valley and peak that you, Rakim Mayers, in all your blackness and even ignorance did NOT deserve to die.

“We kill each other, but as soon as a white boy kills one of us, everybody go to hoopin’ and hollerin’ and all that old stupid-*ss sh*t,” — Kevin Gates

There’s no way I’m writing more than a few sentences about this fool and his foolery. Shut up. You’re uneducated about what you are talking about duh. You might have bumped your head a couple of times. You're canceled. bye.

“I don't really care because after I learned what I learned about politics I just stay away... Let down, Man I only believe what the eyes see. I'm mixed. I don't know what my ancestors was doing. I only know what I see! Yeah, I seen SELMA. Was I related to anyone no. I'm saying my moss side of family is not black. Heritage different.” — Bow Wow

The only reason why I will address such idiocy is because this can in some way be tied to colorism and bi-racial identity. If you look black, you will be treated as such. No police officer that has mal intentions for people of color will hesitate to shoot you because you dad is nanosecondteenth white or chihuahua. This goes for the older west African folks saying that it is the “Akatas” fault for being too “gangster,” and the lighter toned/ biracial people that look black but think they too are exempt. Complexion might come with privilege, but in matters of life and death, how much weight does even that privilege have? I’m sure you wouldn't ever want to have to find out. Get it together. Culture definitely doesn't protect you from racism or bias. Bias is often unconscious, so it will be present before anyone gives you the chance to prove that you were raised in a “disciplined, cultured, respectable and respectful African home.” Racism is in spite of all of those things because it is about the skin color and superiority so really they don't care that you're mixed. Shad, just because you have lips, doesn't mean you need to talk.

“Also, I think the #OscarSoWhite controversy is lame because black people should not demand that every segment of society who watches movies be reflected in the number of Oscars given to actors and actresses. That’s just not how the world works…”
Stacey Dash
— Wendy Williams (said something along these lines as well)

Wendy got schooled and Stacey isn't worth another sentence. BLOCKED.

Lastly, I would like to address Michael Jordan. This week, just as I was dragging him for filth for remaining silent, he surprised me and for the first time ever and spoke up. (I'm still going to drag him though) In a letter addressed to the public, he expressed his aversion to the recent killings and social strife between the community and police officers. In his letter, he expressed how much he feels the relationship between police and these communities needs to change amongst other things and he contributed 2 million dollars the BLM in the form of organization donations. Bravo, really I mean that. Two million is chump change for him, but for us, it's a big deal and it's good to finally hear his voice. Growing up, Jordans were all my peers wore and wanted. Every black boy and girl I knew did whatever it took to get their hands on his sneakers. If they had to skip school to get a ticket for the latest releases, they would. Camp out in front of the store? No problem. Beg mommy and daddy for money they don't have to get them? No problem. Blow their whole paycheck on the sneakers? Without a thought. Even steal if need be. By all means, black boys and girls have always supported Michael in all of his endeavors and lined his pockets no matter how ugly the d*mn shoes were. Despite his investments having ties to the prison industrial complex The black community’s support of him has been unwavering for the most part, and we are quick to reach into our pockets for him. So bravo for his donation and his acknowledgment, but it was long overdue.

The point I am making essentially is that there are a lot of things celebrities don't have to do. As regular people, fans and consumers we do a lot for them that we also don't have to do. A$AP started as a rapper ventured into designing, modeling and acting. There are fans that will buy his merchandise and pay to watch movies just because he is in it and they're an original fan of his music. We don't have to do that. Jordan there are tons of other basketball players with sneakers. We didn't have to choose yours to be the Oscar of sneakers. So many brown boys have died over the last three years. I wonder how many of them loved A$AP's music and wanted to be just like him? How many of them died in their favorite pair of Jordans in just the last three years? You all don't have to acknowledge the plight of the people who support and or invest in you. However, it would be nice, and it's definitely not asking for too much.