What It Is Like To Be “The Fat Girl” In College

We gotta work with what the good Lord gave us

1201
Huffingtonpost

College is hard enough as is, let alone having to carry some extra baggage along. Love handles, thick thighs, and DD’s with a low self-esteem isn’t the best combo while trying to just fit in, meet friends and have a good time. Clothes don’t fit like they do on your size two bestie, and ‘the girls’ don’t hang like everyone else’s, but hey, we try anyway.

College isn’t the same for a thick girl with no confidence. For me, friends aren’t easy to come by, boys don’t flirt like you wish they would, and getting done up and going out just isn’t the same. You want me to try to hold all this up on heels, and then walk from one side of campus to the other? Girl, please. I will wear my sneakers and leggings and pretend I don’t notice the guys gawking at every other girl but me.

Jealousy is at an all-time high. If you haven’t walked through a college campus lately, you can’t go two feet without running into a beautiful babe with a bangin’ body. Oh, and then you get the people who know they are perfect and like to let you know if you aren’t, that is always fun. Or, the constant reminder that you got a boot when you sit down in lecture and the seat squeezes you so tight you think you’ll need the jaws of life to retrieve your tookus from the grasp of the seat of death. *Breathe*

Some would say, “Why are you whining on here, get out and lose weight then.” To those people I would give the bird, and explain that no one knows what anyone is going through and continue my schpeel.

Confidence is key to being a happy fat girl on a campus of Kardashians. If you are a plus sized girl and can shake it better than Beyoncé, power to ya! Add a point to the hot scale when you swipe a girl of her insecurities. Until an insecurity swiper is invented, I’ll scrape myself off of the ground, put on my sweats, and try to feel alive.

Making friends is damn near impossible. The fear of rejection is real, even with friendships, and knowing that if you were fifty pounds lighter you wouldn’t really have this problem. The sad truth is that there are shallow people that don’t associate with anyone over a size four. We don’t need them anyway, but it fuels the fear that chunky chicks have about going up to groups and introducing yourself. But when you do find someone who accepts you for who you are, you find a friend for life.

Until then we will deal with the people who weigh 100 pounds and complain about how they jiggle when they walk, how they don’t have anything to wear, or that they found a stretch mark on their thigh. Yes, I will act like you’re going through a crisis, and no I do not let it get to me. But consideration is also key. I am two of you, I jiggle when I listen to loud music, I can’t even find my size in a store, and there are not many places that I do not have stretch marks. It’s alright, though.

Being a fat girl in college is hard, but we gotta work with what the good Lord gave us, and right now that is a fatty. But hey when we fall on ice hiking to class, we have a squishy cushion. When we go out we can always rely on our DD’s to hold our keys, ID’s, and a snack for later (kidding). We don’t have to worry about buying push up bras because cleavage comes easy. Gain some confidence, go up and say hi, and wear that crop top because beauty comes in all sizes.