Fast Growing Spring Vegetables

Fast Growing Spring Vegetables

Get your Spring garden sprung with these fast growing veggies!

87
Fast Growing Spring Vegetables

Once springtime hits, gardening season is on. Professional gardeners will have done their annual research to predict when the last frost may occur so they can be prepared for planting. Some gardeners will plant for the long-haul, choosing vegetables that take awhile to mature. Other gardeners, like yourself, may be more eager to reach that first harvest as soon as possible. If so, there are some vegetables known for rapidly growing into your enjoyment.

Kale, turnips, spinach, sugar snap peas, onions, and rutabaga are great examples of fast-growing spring vegetables. As you can see, leafy greens and root vegetables tend to grow quickest. They are perfect for salads, stir-fry, and have a rustic taste that always astounds. There is no difference between fast-growing and slow-growing vegetables – simply the vegetables themselves. If you are looking for a quick harvest, get to know the following vegetables and their growth times.

Kale

media1.giphy.com

Time to harvest: 50-70 days

Kale is known for its cold tolerance and could potentially be planted before the last frost. They need plenty of water and will produce frequently if you harvest from the outside leaves.

Turnips

media2.giphy.com

Time to harvest: 30-60 days

Extremely rustic and beautifully colored, the turnip is a root vegetable. But don't let that keep you from trying the leaves as well! Turnips are one of the few vegetables that provide an edible leaf and root. Similar to kale, turnips have the potential to be grown year-round, which makes them perfect for early spring planting and harvest.

Spinach

media2.giphy.com

Time to harvest: 35-40 days

Another leafy green, spinach is considered the "beginner-gardener's choice". One of the most versatile leaves, spinach can be used in salads, sautéed, toppings, roasted, or blended. Known for having a sweeter taste than kale, people gravitate towards spinach for its nutrient richness and sweeter disposition.

Sugar Snap Peas

media1.giphy.com

Time to harvest: 55-70 days

Most flavor profiles change dependent on the harvest time, but they can be subtle and go unnoticed. Sugar snap peas' flavor ranges wider, with earlier harvests producing a sweeter pod. One of the fast-growing spring vegetables that differ, it's a seedpod instead of leafy green or root vegetable. These delicious harvests are perfect cold or cooked, so the most eager gardeners can eat them right off the vine.