Evolution of the fast and furious franchise

The Evolution of 'the fast and furious' characters is the most ridiculous thing in cinema history

...and the world is better for it

230
https://www.facebook.com/FastandFurious/photos/a.56004807630.66687.24098842630/10150170621807631/?type=3&theater

I saw part of the original "Fast and Furious" movie the other day and was reminded of something crazy. The original crimes being dealt with were basic street-racers involved in black-market VHS sales. That's right, VHS SALES.

This is incredible considering that now they have all basically turned into Universal's version of "The Avengers." Dominic Torreto literally flies over a highway to save Letty from dying. Paul Walker goes from a rookie undercover cop to street-racer Jason Bourne. Mia jumps off a building while pregnant and doesn't lose her baby. The list goes on.

The major change in the franchise occurred around Five when Dom somehow has international street cred and the smarts to pull off an "Oceans" style heist on a police station. That's a long way from VHS players. Science, physics, and common sense go out the window, as these characters are invincible. Not even the late Paul Walker's Brian could die. Instead, they gave him death by fatherhood.

If any of this sounds like a complaint, that is incorrect. The first movie was a great version of "Point Break" with a more mumbly anti-hero, but the new films are the most entertaining blockbusters going. I dare say, there hasn't been a more successful stupid franchise. If any other franchise tried to jump a car between buildings in Abu Dhabi, you would be upset at how crazy that is, but in "Furious 7" you lept up, yelled, then nodded and said that seems about right.

There are future spinoffs coming, and I hope they get crazier. Put cars in space, in the ocean, at the center of the earth; realism doesn't matter. Enough goodwill has been built up that I am "ride or die" with this franchise. If Dennis Rodman can become an American diplomat in North Korea, then why can't Dom and his gang become smarter than Elon Musk, richer than Bill Gates, and better at fighting than Bruce Lee? Keep it coming, Universal. I'm all in.