What I Learned From Dressing However I Wanted For 7 Days

10 Life-Changing Things That Happened When I Finally Listened To ‘Queer Eye’ And Wore Whatever I Wanted

Tan France has taught me well...

1016
Lydia Gardner

If you are at all involved in the world of Netflix and pop culture, you've probably heard of a little show called "Queer Eye."

The show follows the 'Fab 5' on their adventures to give people a push to becoming the best, most authentic versions of themselves. The fourth season recently dropped and let me tell you, it is emotional AF. When I say that I cried during every episode... I cried during every episode.

Throughout the episodes, Tan France, the fashion guru and stylist extraordinaire, said something that stuck with me.

He stressed the importance of finding what makes you feel like you, but more refined. When you dress nice, you feel nice, essentially. I loved that concept and decided I would dress as the more refined version of myself for a week. I didn't want to hold anything back. I wanted my style to be reflective of who am I and refined... Here is what happened:

1. My confidence went through the roof.

I was feeling myself. Not in a prideful or egotistical way, but in more of an "OK QUEEN WITH THE OUTFIT" way.

2. I took an insane amount of selfies and I regret NOTHING.

Personal Photos

My Snapchat was popping. My Instagram was popping. My smile was popping. I finally felt like I looked good and could post things or take pictures and enjoy what I saw.

3. I felt like a fish out of water sometimes.

I showed up to work for the first time EVER in a dress and got some compliments. It was nice, however, I have no idea how to accept a compliment and found myself deflecting them left and right instead of just saying thank you. When someone tells you that you look nice, chances are they're being truthful and you shouldn't feel like it's a bad or wrong thing to accept the compliment.

4. It gave me the extra push that I needed and I finally made a change I'd been wanting to make for a while.

Personal Photos

It made me realize that my own personal style is a reflection of myself. I'd been wanting to dye my hair, something I had never done before. This week, I finally did it, with the help of my mom and some friends. And I couldn't be more happy with the results.

5. I tucked my shirt in.

Personal Photos

I know this probably doesn't seem like much. To give you context, I have always been insecure about my mid-section, as many people are. My usual outfit of shorts or leggings and an oversized t-shirt was not going to cut it this week. I wore skinny jeans and tucked my shirt in with them. I also purchased my first belt. It was crazy to see how much of a difference these things made when I looked at myself in the mirror.

6. I felt like going out more.

I would get ready for no reason and actually make an effort to leave the house, even when I didn't have scheduled plans. Making myself look presentable made me want to show it off a little, but mostly, it was for me and my confidence and being able to hold myself high when I stepped outside the comfort of my home.

7. I learned more about myself and my style. 

I have a summer job working in retail and noticed things around the store that Bailey from two-weeks ago wouldn't go near. This week helped me expand my horizons and figure out what it is that I like and how I can style things to match me and what I enjoy. I've also been able to categorize my style as "nerdy chic with a businessman pirate twist." It doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what it is.

8. I don't have to "dress up" all the time.

Personal Photos

I won't lie, there were times I wanted to throw on a giant sweatshirt and shorts and call it a day. I still do. But there are ways to feel comfortable and still feel like you're showcasing your style. I think fashion is such a cool way to express your own individuality with the things you wear on a day to day basis. One day I wore a sweater and jeans and threw some earrings on and was still popping off! Find what you love and, as Tan would say, "Refine it."

9. I found myself putting together outfits in my head.

Personal Photos

And a lot of them sparked lots of joy.

10. I have a new appreciation for clothes in general and want to continue this moving forward because ​​I feel SO good​​. 

What started as an idea for an article and following Tan France's example turned into something I am so grateful for.

Find your own style, try it for a week and see if you feel any different. Hey, it's worth a shot, right?