Far Cry 5 Impressions

Far Cry 5 Impressions

My thoughts on the latest installment in the franchise

81
Far Cry 5 Impressions
Facebook

When Far Cry 5 was first announced back in 2017, it caused controversy among gamers and non-gamers alike based on it's setting and antagonists. Some went so far as to say it was a "white genocide simulator" and some native Montanans threatened to hold an armed march, based on the cover art alone. I didn't buy a copy when it released last month, but not for those reasons. The Far Cry series has always delved into controversial issues, so this newest installment doesn't phase me. I was beginning to think that the Far Cry franchise had gone stale, and the subsequently released gameplay videos didn't convince me otherwise. Far Cry 5 looked to be more of the same. My brother rented the game from Redbox last week and he let me try it out when he was finished. After playing through the first few hours, I realized that I was...somewhat right.

For those unaware Far Cry 5 takes place in the fictional Hope County, located in the state of Montana. A fundamentalist doomsday cult, led by pastor Joseph Seed, has risen to power and has influence over the majority of the residents. After several kidnappings and forced baptisms, among other atrocities, the police department is called in to arrest Seed. Things go south and the playable character, simply named "the deputy", is stranded in the isolated Hope County. The new goal is to topple Seed's hierarchy by rescuing and aiding the townsfolk, destroying propaganda, and generally causing as much chaos as possible.

I haven't played through the story( which takes up to 25+ hours to complete) so I can't give my full analysis of the game. I did, however, find some enjoyment in the time I played. First off, the visuals are breathtaking and the music is eerily calming. I could pause the game and listen to the soundtrack when I study if I wanted to! The player can also customize the deputy to their liking; one can choose their gender, race, and clothing before venturing out into the wilderness. Weapons can be customized as well.

Still, I couldn't help but notice some issues. Despite the contemporary American setting, the world feels barren. Plus my suspension of disbelief was broken a few times; if Seed is such a threat, why haven't the feds stepped in? The deputy is a silent protagonist; When other NPCs (non-playable characters) talk to you, it doesn't feel authentic. Rather than having a decent conversation, it sounds as if they're spouting exposition to you. Regarding the gameplay, it hasn't changed much since Far Cry 3 ( released in 2012). You go to an NPC for an assignment, raid and kill a settlement full of bad guys, potentially save some hostages, and save the day! Rinse and repeat... The campaign is an assortment of fetch quests, essentially. Past games in the series have done this, too. I didn't mind then, probably didn't realize it either, but I'm aware of that now and I've graudally grown tired of it. My brother had to return the game, so I didn't play as much of it as would've liked to. Maybe the gameplay improves as one progresses through the story, but from my experience it leaves much to be desired.