Fantastic Beasts: Expanding the Harry Potter Universe

No major spoilers.

10
Warner Bros.

We've had plenty of opportunities to revisit the Harry Potter Universe this past year. Universal Studios finally opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Southern California. Visitors can now explore Hogwarts and shop at Hogsmead to their hearts' content.

In late July, we were treated to an extension of the Harry Potter Universe with the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Although most of us wish we could see the play in London, we've had to settle for the script. It's okay though. I'll accept any excuse to reread the Harry Potter series.

Now we have a new reason to dust off our wands with the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I, for one, was thoroughly excited for the film, and even paid a visit to Pottermore, the official website for the Harry Potter Universe. In the spirit of a new film that takes place in the United States, rather than the United Kingdom, I took the sorting quiz for my house at Ilvermorny, the Wizarding School of North America. I also read up on the school and a series of interviews to make me more excited for the film. By the time Thursday night arrived, I was ready.

As expected, it was magical.

There is still a sense of wonder that the Harry Potter films portray. Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, the magizoologist, was charming and endearing, and you couldn't help but think of Hagrid whenever he vowed that the animals in his suitcase weren't dangerous. You're excited to see some magic, to see Newt interact with his animals, and to see relationships develop between the characters.

Underneath it all, you also get a sense of danger because you know Grindelwald, the darkest wizard before Voldemort's time, is currently a threat to both wizards and humans. At the mention of Grindelwald and "the greater good," you're reminded of Albus Dumbledore, and you have a little hope.

Yet the danger in the movie isn't overwhelming. Actually, it hardly makes you worry. There wasn't much time for the development of character background stories, even for Newt, so you aren't as attached as you are to Harry. You also already know that Grindelwald is eventually defeated by Dumbledore, so even though there is something to look forward to, you aren't worried about that either.

There is a lot of room to explore the larger magical universe that used to be limited to Harry Potter. This is before Harry's time in a different continent and the protagonists are adults rather than children. Although J.K. Rowling and the producers did a good job of developing an entirely new wizarding world, I'm left wondering about how the story will continue for four more films.

Then again, only Rowling knows the details of her magical universe, and that's why we keep reading her books and watching the films. I'll look forward to the next films.

If you want to explore the magical universe on your own, I'd suggest going to Pottermore, where you'll find a collection of short stories by J.K. Rowling about the Harry Potter universe and where you can also discover the shape of your Patronus.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is in theaters now.