Picking Up Where We Left Off

Picking Up Where We Left Off

I saw my family this past weekend, and it's like my sister and I never left.

100
Picking Up Where We Left Off
Phoebe Velez

After over a month on my own, I took a trip to Binghamton University for my twin sister's Family Weekend. As much as I love my school, this was something I'd been looking forward to since I moved in, and waiting to get picked up was the longest few hours of my life. A five-hour shift at work easily felt like at least double.

Finally, I got a text from my parents that they were outside of my hall. My sister was also there, which was the best surprise ever. I wasn't expecting to see her until later! My sister had visited me before and was excited to see my friends again, and my parents finally got to meet everyone I'd been telling them about, which was really nice.

The same old shenanigans began in no time. My dad playing loud salsa music and playing the air-trumpet, air-drums, you name it... and my sister and I driving mom and dad crazy from the back seat. We'd definitely picked up right where we'd left off - you'd have never guessed we hadn't been together in weeks.

Family dinner was definitely something I'd missed - I don't think the restaurant was quite ready for us, though... anyone who spends five minutes with my family and I knows we are quite a bunch. It was interesting, to say the least. But the food was great, and the company was even better. Lots of very loud laughter, as anyone who knows us, could easily assume.

As my mom had said in her Facebook check-in (which both of my parents were sure to do, and mention that we were all together in every single spot), it was so nice to have "finally a table for 4 again."

The next day was amazing as well; we went shopping - once again, no surprise. As usual, my dad and I forgot how to behave in a store...we I grabbed squeaky dog toys and squeaked them all around Bed Bath & Beyond. Mom wasn't happy, but we knew deep down that she thought it was funny.

After another family dinner, we also went to a performance for my sister's a cappella group! I loved it, and I can't wait to see her shine onstage at the next one.

All of the stuff we did together was great, but it was just being there with them that was truly special. My family weekend isn't for nearly another month, but I know it will be just as special. I was worried that seeing them would make me homesick after they left, but fortunately, that wasn't the case.

I know that the time until I see them again will fly by just as it had this past time around.

To my family: thanks for a crazy but unforgettable weekend. I love you, and I miss you like crazy, but I'll see you soon!

Related Articles Around the Web