5 Reasons Why Traditions Are Important

5 Reasons Why Traditions Are Important

Family traditions are the best.

27250
5 Reasons Why Traditions Are Important
Alexa Krass

Family is the most important part of a person's life. Friends and relationships come and go all the time, but family remains forever. Not everyone has the perfect relationship with their family, which is why family traditions are so important and should be continued on from generation to generation. In my family traditions range from very big to very small, but what matters is the memories made from them. Two of my favorite traditions are Sunday dinner with the whole family every week and going pumpkin picking every October. Here are the five reasons everyone should continue family traditions.

1. Memories.

Memories last a life time and will be the topic of conversation at almost any family gathering. Memories are the moments we look back on to laugh about and to smile about because they made us feel so good on the inside. Memories are something we can pass on from generation to generation. While memories are good for creating a bond. Memories also strength our minds to think as we get older. Finally, we will look back on the memories we shared as a family rather than the items we bought for each other for the holidays.

2. Something to look forward to.

Every Sunday I look forward to seeing my family and sitting around a table eating. Also, I look forward to seeing my cousins every October to go pumpkin picking. They are two very small traditions, but are huge events in my mind that I count down the days for. It's something to keep us happy and hopeful that we have one good moment in time to look forward to, whether it be once every year or once every week. Overall, it is something to count on when we are having a bad day because of the joy and relaxation those traditions bring.

3. Families become closer.

In my own experience because of these traditions I have become extremely close to my family. Traditions keep us together and to realize what is truly the most important part of life. As a family comes together we realize that we can talk about anything with each other and will relive memories over and over again. Also, once a family has started a tradition there is a good chance it won't stop because of how close the family has become.

4. Bridges a gap between generations.

Some traditions are passed on from generation to generation. In my family the tradition that has been passed down is eating together every Sunday. In an Italian culture it is very normal and tradition to eat together as a family on Sunday's, because it brings the family together. Therefore, when an entire family comes together there is something for different generations to relate on. Someone that is eighty years old versus someone that is 12 years old might not have much to relate on, but if they sit down and eat together memories and stories can be created.

5. A sense of identity.

Sometimes people can feel lost and don't know who they are or where they belong. However, when you are part of a family tradition someone can find themselves and discover new things about themselves. For me I knew I would love to write and share my thoughts with everyone because during Sunday dinner that is all we do. However, it is a nice feeling to belong to something even if it is just your family. Family traditions define your family and who you are as an individual and as a whole.