Falling in Love in London

Falling in Love in London

(yes you read that correctly)

333
Falling in Love in London

Yes, you read that correctly. I am writing this last blog to admit to you that I have fallen in love while abroad. No, I am not writing about my future husband, and how I no longer plan on returning home (don’t worry mom and dad). But, I have fallen in love. As cliché as it sounds, I have fallen in love with London. I will forever be grateful for my life and everything I have encountered overseas. As my flight home approaches, I am looking back on how much I have grown as a person over these short months.

Although I spent a majority of my study abroad days in the classroom, or doing work for university, I found that London itself has been a classroom to me. As cliché as it sounds I have learned so much from my explorations. You’ll discover what you are extremely passionate about. While abroad I rushed Angels in America, at the National theater twice, getting up at four AM to get front row seats. I have also found how much I enjoy art museums and how they all vary. London is filled with so much culture it is easy to find something new you feel strongly about. Another thing you will have to accept is how to save money. No matter how much you saved up before your trip, you will have to make sure you do not spend all your money on trips to Camden Market or Primark. Slumming it is not that bad, and it preps you for life after college when you are living on your own for the first time. Studying abroad is all about trial and error; the more you try new things the more you learn. It is about spontaneous day trips within the UK. It is about trying traditional foods, like Marmite, and realizing it is not for you. It is about putting yourself out there, making yourself uncomfortable and finding out where you belong. I have happily made many, many mistakes while away from home, but I am lucky to have experienced every single one of them.

It is shocking to me how old everything in Europe is so old. It is rare to find something at least one hundred years old back home, whereas in Europe, it is a regular occurrence. One day, while meeting up with my aunt and uncle I was a little lost. But while walking down the sidewalk, I looked up and saw the Wellington Arch. It still fascinates me that these old historical monuments are intermingling with modern architecture. This monument is a part of some peoples commute. They pass this statue so much that they probably do not even notice it anymore. I, on the other hand, could not take my eyes off of it. I stood there for a little, even though I was already a bit late, and stared up in amazement. It is almost two hundred years old, and that is not even the oldest monument within London. As I started to find my way to the hotel, I spent my whole walk thinking about what a beautiful place England is. It sometimes gets a bad reputation because anyone who does not visit sees it as rain, rain and more rain. They are truly missing out though, on all of the beauty, culture and fascinating people. If you wait for the storm to pass the sun will come out, and the flowers will bloom and London will welcome you to explore its wonders.

Your host country is not going to be like your hometown, I can promise you that. You can be from a diverse and highly populated city in America, but I can promise you the culture in London will never compare. Culture shock is real, especially for those from such a small town. But that should not make you stray, you should learn to love where you are living, and that mean trying to fit in with your neighbors. It is an exciting moment when you realize that you have become a bit of a Londoner. You start to roll your eyes at the rowdy tourists on the tube with everyone else who lives in London. You will not hesitate when ordering your take-away filtered white coffee. Crossing the streets will no longer confuse you because you will know to look right before you look left, and the “look right” painted at your feet will help in that as well. Becoming a Londoner is something you should cherish, because soon enough you will return home and loose those little characteristics. Embrace your change.

When you are from a small town, it’s hard to realize what goes on in the world around you. People rarely leave their hometowns for the comfortability, but I always knew I was destined for somewhere bigger. I started off going to an urban school, and now I am abroad in London traveling to various countries on the weekends. Before this study-abroad trip I have only been to two European countries, Germany and Netherlands. In three very jam-packed three months I have been to four different countries. Each one held their own excitement. They each left me with memories that would last me a lifetime. Every city was so extremely different from each other, from London, and from my tiny town in Pennsylvania. Barcelona was filled with life, color and magic. The tiny alleyways are easy to get lost in, and the music will make you dance through the streets. In Ireland, I found out why it is known as one of the happiest countries in the world. From the coast of Howth to the city of Dublin, friendly people greeted us and welcomed us into their town. Wales showed me beautiful Castles, parks and friendly dogs. And walking through Nice at dusk made me feel like an old movie. The coast line sparkled at night, like stars in the sky. All of the cities gave me a little something special, that I will not find back home. I have seen so many beautiful monuments and sights that so many people will only ever see on their computer screens. I have found love in other countries outside of England as well, although London will always have my heart.

In years to come, I think the thing I will be most grateful for is my independence in London. I always knew that I was an independent person, but studying her for so long, and venturing out on my own has benefited me in so many ways. Everyone needs a little alone time, and it is important to try and get some when you spend all of your days with the same people over and over again. I have taken myself on many dates, tried new restaurant’s, visited museums, and rushed shows all on my own. Being alone is not that bad, in fact it can be a form of relaxation sometimes. You get to be alone with your thoughts and react to what you see without any thoughts of others mixing in. There is something beautiful about your own silence, and staying quiet for so long can be calming, especially when you are stressed at school. It is also exciting to look back on your time and see all of the places that you have visited alone. It is nice to have little moments like this to look back on, and recall that they only belong to you.

As my days wind down and the packing begins I cannot help but have a mix of emotions. I am excited to see my dog, my bed, family and friends. I will look forward to having some relaxing days, with no homework weighing me down. But, that being said, I am not ready to leave behind everything that London has to offer. I feel like I have become a bit of a Londoner. I will miss feeling extremely cultured just when taking a walk along the Thames. I will miss being packed into the tube with business men and women complaining about the red signal holding us there. I will miss Sunday roasts, and pubs with friendly bartenders. I will miss little kids in their uniforms zooming past you on their pink and green plastic scooters. I will miss the kind people, the food and the sights. While my plane takes off, I will look back at my photos and my souvenirs and realize how lucky I was to even have this experience. I took advantage of every moment, and I rarely said no to new things. I will have memories that will last me a lifetime and although it will not be awhile until I return, I will be able to look back and smile.

London, I will be back. Thank you for accepting me into your arms and loving me back.