Fall Semester Online

Fall Semester Online

Rutgers released its plans for the upcoming fall semester and how it plans to adjust to the unpredictable climate of Covid-19.

10
Fall Semester Online

Rutgers recently released its decision to operate remotely for the Fall 2020 semester for the majority of students and classes. This decision was the most probable considering the uncertain circumstances regarding Covid-19. The statement released by the university did say that a limited number of courses that require direct access to campus facilities will take place in-person, with proper safety precautions. These courses include select classes in the arts, laboratory or fieldwork, and clinical instruction.

Subsequently, Rutgers nullified housing contracts for most undergraduates, excluding a few different groups. Those that will be allowed to stay on campus in the limited housing are: approved student-athletes, graduate student, Residents seeking family housing, international students who cannot travel, Students in academic programs with mandatory in-person courses (Pharmacy, Nursing, etc.), and Students with extreme extenuating circumstances (i.e. housing insecurity, etc.). This means that most students, including myself, will be taking classes online and remotely.

Rutgers also stated that campus events will remain suspended in the fall in addition to large gatherings to limit the spread of the coronavirus. This means that clubs, large athletic events, RUDM, Rutgers Day, and other traditional events will not be taking place.

What does this announcement mean for incoming freshmen? Almost all incoming freshmen will not get to experience a normal first semester of college and will be learning online from home instead. It is too early to say what will happen spring semester, but hopefully, things can start to normalize by then. This remote learning experience is not ideal, but I believe it is what is best to prevent the rapid spread of the virus amongst university students. I am proud of Rutgers for coming up with a decision and also releasing a guide to go along with it that explains how the fall semester will be laid out.