Fall Semester of College – As Told by the Cast of 30 Rock

A Fantastic Show that is Very Relatable

18
The Huffington Post

College is hard; but Liz Lemon will always be there for those who struggle.

1) Move-in Day!

It’s exciting! Everyone’s so energetic and tan saying goodbye to summer and hello to the year ahead!

2) Then, classes start.

So you’re moved in and reacquainted with your friends. Then, classes begin; they start off… not too bad. Maybe a syllabus, or possibly an easy review. All you know is, you’re about to kick this semester’s booty!!

3) Finding the line with the “Cool Professor”.

We all have that one professor who tries to be cool but they’re also our teacher.

They may play like you can be all cool and casual with them, but that guy is your teacher. Your grades are in their hands; your GPA is a delicate little bird that you need the professor to help you nourish. You don’t want to say the wrong thing and mess all that stuff up.

4) The first few weeks are great!

You think you’re acing all your classes; you’re totally killing it. Balancing social life, the gym, eating right, homework and tests, you’re doing sooooooo well!

5) Remembering how great Thirsty Thursdays are!

Yay! Fun! Alcohol, Frat houses, bars – aka mistakes. ‘Nough said.

6) And then you get that dreaded group project.

This is why you have trust issues. No one does what they’re supposed to. No one actually cares enough about the class to do the project right, and it’s just plain-old annoying to meet outside of regularly scheduled class hours. Plus, you always wind up doing all of the work anyway so you tell everyone to stop ruining all your hard work.

7) Finding that One Class Pet Everyone Loathes.

There’s always that one kid in the class who tries way too hard.

Come on buddy. No. It’s 8 o’clock in the morning on a Monday. Shut up, sit down, and be miserable like the rest of us.

8) Making it Through the First Set of Assignments.

And you totally screwed it all up. You got a C on a paper worth 20% of your grade, a 77 on a test worth 45% of your grade, a 40 on a quiz that’s worth 10% of your grade; absolutely ruined all of it. This is why we drink.

9) You do anything to make yourself feel better.

It seems impossible. Grades are such a huge portion of our college career that you stress over them constantly. So you allow yourself to watch some TV or shop or whatever you do to make yourself feel better. But there’s always that little voice in the back of your head reminding you that you have other responsibilities.

10) Realizing You Already Burned through Most of Your Dining Dollars.

Sh*t. Your call your parents desperate for money so you can eat off campus.

You’re exhausted. So over the semester. You’re slowly and painfully dying. You’re constantly doing work while simultaneously procrastinating and you’re just wasting away. WHY CAN’T I JUST EAT ANYTHING I WANT?!?!?!?!

11) You vow to do better.

You say you’re not going to go out anymore. You swear no more Netflix, no more crafting, no more anything that isn’t studying and work, work, work.

12) But you actually do work when you’re hungover.

You make sure that you kept your promise to yourself (and probably your mom). You desperately need to get that GPA up and, gosh darn, you’re going to do it, even if it’s the last thing you do.

13) Eventually, your R.A. comes around.

You have to rearrange your entire room to hide fire violations, you need to pretend you’ve never done a single thing wrong in your life.

14) Finals.

You’re screwed. You’ve spent the last 14 weeks in all of your classes, trying to work so hard and do well. And you get the final and have no idea what anything is. You studied, you tried so very hard, but you just can’t help thinking about your home friends and just getting out of there so you’re finally home.

15) AHHHH WINTER BREAK!

Time to go home already?! It’s great…until January 2nd. All you want is to go back to college. Yes, you love your family. Yes, you love your home friends. But being at college is just a whole other experience.

16) Come Back and Do it all Again.

Although last semester was miserable, you return with a fresh mind and high hopes for this new one ahead. You’re ready to screw it all up again!

And in the wise words of Liz Lemon "♪ I'm a star I'm on top Somebody bring me some ham ♪".