30 Things That Belong On Your NYC Fall Bucket List

The New York City college student's guide to creating the ultimate fall bucket list.

155

The fall season officially starts on Wednesday, September 23. Get ready for the season of transition whether that means back-to-school or new fashion trends. Here's a list of 30 things to consider adding to your New York City fall bucket list. Take out a pen and your planner to schedule a few fun, fall-themed study breaks for you and your friends! After all, everyone deserves a little rest and relaxation, especially when keeping up with the fast-paced and demanding lifestyle of an undergraduate student in the City of New York.

1. Explore the Central Park Conservatory Garden.

This little known treasure is Central Park's only formal garden and a great photo-op; it can be found at 5th Avenue and 105th Street.

2. Shop at the 116th and Broadway Farmer’s Market.

You always pass by it on the way to classes, but take a minute and smell the roses (literally). The maple cotton candy is out of this world!

3. Take a Fall Foliage Hudson River Cruise.

Get off the island of Manhattan and explore some smaller, more idyllic towns on the Hudson River.

4. Enjoy "Low Beach" one more time.

Enjoy the company of fellow classmates on "Low Beach" one more time, before the weather changes and campus becomes a ghost town.

5. Throw a Ratatouille dinner party.

Pick out some fresh, fun and colorful autumn veggies to whip up some classic ratatouille to enjoy with friends.

6. Commemorate the Magnolia Tree.

Pretty soon, Barnard's famous Magnolia Tree will be making a big move with all the construction going on. Commemorate it in its original state with a fall photo-op!

7. Bike across the GW Bridge.

For some good exercise and a lovely view of the less populated parts of the City, take a bike ride across the George Washington Bridge.

8. Shop Bath & Body Works' Fall Collection.

There's always a sale going on both in-store and online! Pick out some limited edition fall-scented candles or body scrub to use up this fall season.

9. Tune into ABC's 13 Nights of Halloween.

Don't miss your favorite Halloween flicks! The line-up for this year's programming is already available here.

10. And... Watch a Disney Channel Original Movie or two.

Indulge in some of your childhood favorites like "Hocus Pocus," "Halloweentown," or "Twitches." You'll be surprised how good these movies still are!

11. Find your favorite fall-flavored coffee.

Whether you prefer Starbucks or Joe's or another local coffee shop, they're all rolling out their seasonal coffee flavors. Find your favorite early this fall season!

12. Decorate your dorm room on a budget.

This store sells a ton of seasonal decor items for just $1. Stock up on fall and Halloween items to make your dorm room festive and cozy.

13. Get pumped for Homecoming.

Come support the Lions at Homecoming this year! It's bound to be a blast, and worth the trek to Baker's Field, if you go along with all your closest friends!

14. Visit the Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park.

It's pretty far from campus, but admission is free with a CU ID, and the Cloisters are absolutely breathtaking in the fall, especially with stellar views of the Hudson River.

15. Take a walk just outside "The Bubble."

Just outside of the Columbia Bubble, there is a fantastic array of unique street gardens and architecture on the Upper West Side. Take it all in by walking just a little further than you normally would.

16. Experience Top of the Rock.

There's no better time to experience Top of the Rock than autumn. Just take a look at this spectacular bird's eye view of the City and all its fall foliage.

17. Re-watch/reread your favorite childhood story.

Memories seem to come flooding back in when autumn rolls around. Indulge them by revisiting some of your childhood favorites.

18. Have a picnic on the Great Lawn.

This will be your last chance to enjoy a meal outside in a long, long, long time. Winter is coming, so don't squander the opportunity!

19. Experiment with baking desserts in a mug.

Baking cookies, cakes and brownies in a mug is a fine art. This is one of my favorite recipes and it's perfect for a cozy, autumn night.

20. Go thrift shopping for oversized sweaters.

Shopping at Goodwill or other secondhand shops in New York's more affluent neighborhoods like the Upper East Side can be a gold mine for some great vintage pieces.

21. See the Annual NYC Halloween Parade in the Village.

If you thought that New York City couldn't get any stranger, check out the Annual Halloween Parade downtown, and you'll be surprised. And, don't forget your own spooky costume!

22. Bake your own fall treats.

Fresh apples, pumpkins and spices are everywhere. Pick out a few items and have a baking party to get to know your floormates better.

23. Have a "Friendsgiving."

Before everyone goes home for the holidays, be sure to have a "Friendsgiving," where everyone contributes one dish to the dinner. Trust me, it's a lot of fun!

24. Indulge in some personal reflection time.

Take advantage of the beautiful weather and scenery by reading a book or writing out your thoughts and goals for the semester with some quiet personal reflection time in Riverside Park.

25. See Alpha Chi Omega's Runway Warriors.

Alpha Chi Omega's annual Runway Warriors, flagship philanthropy event for the fall semester, will take place in Roone Auditorium on October 16th at 8PM. Runway is a fashion show and raffle to raise consciousness and funds for Domestic Violence Awareness and Support (DVAS). Raffle items include tickets to the Weeknd, high-end designer clothing and beauty products, gift cards to local favorites, and more. Tickets to Runway will go on sale within the next week and will be $7 at the TIC. Keep posted by going to the chapter's Facebook page. You can find all the details here.

26. Go apple picking.

There are quite a few awesome places near Manhattan to go apple picking in the fall. Time Out ranked the best apple farms here.

27. Try a new shade of lipstick.

Pop into Sephora, Ulta or your local drugstore to pick out some fun and exciting new lipstick shades. Be adventurous and try out a deep berry or burgundy color.

28. See "The Phantom of the Opera."

"Phantom of the Opera" is Broadway's longest-running musical, and there's no better time to see it than in the fall, right around Halloween time.

29. Recreate this iconic scene from "When Harry Met Sally."

This scene was actually filmed in Central Park. Take a study break and hunt down this spot for an excellent photo-op.

30. Create your own fall bucket list.

Craft and customize your own bucket list with some festive decorations, and check off each adventure as the season goes on for a greater sense of accomplishment!

Happy Fall!