Fall 2020 Netflix Watch List: From Spooky Movies To Murder Documentaries

Who doesn't love a good Netflix recommendation? Especially during these tough times with the pandemic when all we need is some comfort and something to distract us from the stressors.

7

Due to the pandemic, a lot of us are stuck in our homes; working from home, doing school from home or in our dorm rooms, etc. It is a very stressful time and let's face it, after a day of staring at your computer screen or on Zoom calls, you just want to relax and watch some TV. Well, lucky for you, Netflix has been releasing so many shows to help you destress.

American Murder: The Family Next Door

If you remember, in August of 2018, a pregnant woman and her two daughters went missing in a small town in Colorado. We later found out that it was the woman's father who murdered his pregnant wife and two daughters. Ever since the murder and details of it unraveled, multiple different TV channels and streaming services have produced different shows about it. At the end of September, Netflix came out with its own documentary about the murder; revealing unseen footage, police interrogation tapes, and court hearings from the tragic event. The documentary caused a lot of hysteria and "hype" where people formed their own beliefs and theories on what really caused the murder. Even though the documentary has now been out for around a month or so, I definitely recommend watching it if you are a fan of true crime.

Ratched 

If you were not aware, the treatment of the mentally ill or unstable has drastically changed over the years. Ratched is a Netflix series that follows Nurse Ratched as she manipulates her way into a job at a top psychiatric facility in Lucia, California (the town being real but not the hospital) and becomes one of the most brutal and sadistic nurses to ever treat patients. This series is a prequel to the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which I will also cover in this article. This series only has one season so far but is rumored to be a four-season series so be on the lookout for more of Nurse Ratched.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

This movie takes place 30 years after the series Ratched. Nurse Ratched is back and she is giving no mercy. This movie takes place in Salem, Oregon so we can only assume that Nurse Ratched has relocated in order to take control of more patients. As stated in my previous summary of the series Ratched, Nurse Ratched has become one of the most brutal and sadistic nurses that anyone has ever heard of. She treats her patients in extremely unsettling ways, using different forms of sedation and torture, and thus starts the metaphor of "Nurse Ratched" to be used to describe someone who has a corrupt influence of institutional power.

Emily in Paris

Emily in Paris, starring Lily Collins follows Emily, an executive working in Chicago who gets her dream job in Paris. While in Paris, her life begins to fill with new and not so fun challenges as she tries to get used to her new life, make a good impression at her job, and try to get into relationships. This recommendation is more for my drama lovers.

Hubie Halloween

It's October. I had to give you this recommendation. Hubie Halloween is a new movie starring Adam Sandler and many other famous celebrities. This movie is basically just a Halloween night gone wrong. I recommend this to all of my Halloween and Adam Sandler lovers.

I hope these recommendations assist you next time you need a Netflix fix!