My High School Best Friend Turned Out To Be A Fake Friend, But I'm Over It And Moving On

Maybe one day you'll change your ways, but I'm done with it.

212
Google

"You left me in bits, you are what selfishness is, you're all yourself and that's it, you're awful, you really hurt me this time" -Hit The Road by CallMeKarizma

Here we are, summer before we all head to college. It's usually the time where you and your friends hang out for one last summer before moving away to different cities and states. You and I both decided to stay in state, but I'm moving an hour away. I always thought that you and I would spend a lot of time together this summer, but look where we are now.

You betrayed me and back-stabbed me.You left me when I was in a vulnerable place. You left the one time I needed you the most. I still remember that night because it ended up ruining the life that I had built for myself. I finally found people that cared about me. I found people I wanted in my life forever, and originally I thought you'd be one. I guess your manipulation blind sided me every single time.

You like to lie, a lot. You would always make up stories to try to gain sympathy from people. Early in our friendship I fell for the lies. I actually gave you the sympathy that you were looking for, which is probably why you stuck by me. Over the years, there were very few times I actually went to you in times of need. Even when I did, all you would say is "I'm sorry" so I just stopped trying with you. You were out there trying to gain sympathy from everyone and anyone, while I was isolated and alone having to cope with my own real problems.

Granted, I can't say that everything you said was a lie. The problem was that you would seek sympathy and attention after the fact. I always told you that some things you should keep to yourself rather than spread it, but you opened your mouth and it was out. I remember the very first thing you shared with people that you probably shouldn't have. We were on a retreat and in front of the entire group, you told them something about you that you were overcoming and holding in to yourself. I had known for weeks, and I provided you the sympathy that you deserved. That was until I realized it probably wasn't true. To this day, I can't decipher whether or not you were lying. You continued to change the story over and over again that I was lost and confused. I remember after you told the girls on our retreat about your little problem, they crowded around you and you pushed me to the side like I didn't exist. That was the moment I realized your habit of seeking attention.

I care about you regardless of the circumstance. I called you out on the lies to try to help you out. I tried to help you keep your mouth shut when it came to certain things going on in your life, but you let it all slip out. I always thought you cared about me the way I cared about you. As I reflect now, you disappeared during my hard struggles. Where were you after I had to go into therapy and miss school for a month? Not a single text from you or anything. We weren't close at that point but we were friends. Not a single person tried to contact me during that month. Where were you when I was crying my eyes out various nights? You weren't there, or if you were you just kept saying sorry. Isn't it funny how I would send you paragraphs to help you in your rough times, yet when I needed you all you could give me was two words? That should've shown me.

I wish I could say I have no idea as to why I stuck by you for so long, but really I do. I was lonely for the first two years of high school, but then I found you. You seemed like a sincere friend and so I began to spend my time with you. We became best friends and we did have a lot of fun memories together. Ultimately, I just needed someone. You began to branch out and abandon me, which should've shown me how fake you are. It just taught me that I needed to branch out, and that's exactly what I did. I'm actually glad you didn't end up going on the trip to Washington DC with the school back in January. If you had, I don't think I would've developed the relationships that I did on that trip. You would've centered it around you. I was put into a situation where I needed to get to know the people I was with, which is exactly what I did.

I gained a new best friend from the trip. He was right next to me when I finally heard from you after a month and you told me bad news. I had been concerned about you, and asked around about you. Funny because you never did that when I disappeared for a month. Anyways, once you came back to school I introduced you to him. I'll tell you right now, I warned him about you. Now I just straight up regret introducing you to him because you ruined that friendship that I cherished with my life. He understood me in ways no one else could. He actually helped when I had a problem, no matter how small and petty. What you pulled on us at the end of the school year ruined everything. He's not allowed to see me or talk to me now because of what you did. Yes an aspect to it is my fault, because I hurt him in the past, but you pushed it to the point where I can't even see him. He was my best friend.

You always found a way to ruin something that was finally going good in my life. Over and over again I let you. I wish I didn't, I wish I dropped you a long time ago. Not only have you stolen my old best friend away from me and turned him against me, you two are basically dating now it seems like. Not only did you ruin the last week of high school for me, you ruined the way my family looks at me. You ruined the one friendship I finally found to be real and true. You don't win this time though because I will fight to keep that friendship. I'm not letting you ruin anything else in my life.

Maybe this is all a bit aggressive, I probably come off as bitter. Quite frankly, I am bitter about a lot the more I reflect on our "friendship." You are just completely fake when it comes to interacting with other people. I feel sorry for anyone that you befriend in the future because you'll manipulate them and use them like you did with me. Maybe one day you'll change your ways, but I'm done with it. I'm done with you. I wish you only the best, even though I know you wouldn't do the same for me.