Thoughts On Failure And What It Really Does To A Person

Failures and its Demons

87
Andreas Jones

When “failure” comes into your head, what do you see? Everybody pictures something different; flunking a test, losing a big game, disappointing their mother. All of these examples are put in box labeled “failure” and once we have put something that we do or who we are as individuals into that box it takes a really long time to climb out. Not only the act of actually failing makes us doubt everything that we have ever thought we were good at, BUT THE THOUGHT OF FAILURE DOES TOO. I could sit down, ready to study for a really big exam coming up and just the thought of not doing well on this said exam will drive me to tears, anxiety, and a whole load of stress. Failure is the devil, and our thoughts are the demons. Although our minds tend to exaggerate the consequences that come from our failures, they do not last forever. You’ll study harder and ace the next exam, you’ll try harder and win the next game, and your mom will realize that there is more to life and forgive you. Everybody has their personal experiences with failure; some more extreme than others. However whenever I feel like I am drowning in stress about not performing exceedingly well in everything that I do, I think of the famous quote by President Abraham Lincoln. He stated, “My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.” I have slowly being trying to conquer failure and not let my thoughts (or the demons) control my life. I hope that one day, you find this content too.

-BJG